divimax HALLOWEEN s.e. - high black level??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Patrick, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

now i don't want to get into a debate on the new color timing contoversy. this question relates only to the black level on the disc.

I noticed that the black level throughout the movie - including the black bars (on the 16:9 2.35:1 image) seemed awfully bright. Scenes that should have been totally black looked more grey, and i think it brought out some artifacts. Check out the scene where Loomis and the nurse go to the asylum in the rain - some of that scene looks plain ugly and muddier than previous editions (while the daytime shots look like they were filmed yesterday).

the new print is amazingly detailed and overall i like it, it's just this black level problem that keeps me from loving the trasfer. anyone else notice this???

(PS - my TV is very finely calibrated and i'm watching progressive scan on a 38" 16:9 tv).

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I would think that if the black level of the disc was unusually high, then you'd see a distinct difference between the disc's black bars adn the player generated ones (on a non 16x9 set). I didn't notice it and think the blacks are spot on.

However, if you have a 16x9 TV try setting you player to 4x3 and then watch the disc in whatever standard mode your TV has (with black or grey bars on the side) and see if you can notice the player generated black bars at the top and bottom.

Again, this is just theoretical guessing but it sounds like it'd work to me.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I didn't notice black levels having a problem at all.

5. Sean Patrick

maybe i need to lower my black level a notch.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Sean, are you using Avia or Video Essentials?

7. Sean Patrick

i'm using avia nowadays (used to use V.E. before i bought a 16:9 hdtv)....

seriously, i guess my black level was off ONE NOTCH. I fixed the problem by turning it down by the minimum amount and it all looked great after that. tube tv settings drift, just like projection.

never seen such a difference with one click of the remote.

:)

8. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I had the same issue with my Wega, just the other day I was watching Evil Dead and I thought it looked a little grey, 1 notch down on the brightness cured the problem. Made a HUGE difference. I guess the settings do drift a bit.

9. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Sean, I had the EXACT same problem as you did. I played my original Halloween '99 and then the new version, and immediately I noticed the outside (while Dr. Loomis is in the car with the nurse) that the black level was a tad bit lighter than the '99 version. Not only that, but I too saw the artifacts that you mentioned. I however, did NOT turn my brightness down, as this was the only scene where this was noticable. Throughout the entire movie, the black level was absolutely perfect.