1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Divimax Creepshow 2? Where's Creepshow 1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Floto, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

The Digital Bits is reporting that Anchor Bay is releasing a Divimax Edition of Creepshow 2 in September.

Does anyone know why the far superior Creepshow (as in the first one) isn't getting this treatment first (or at all)?

2. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Different distributing studios, natch.

If you haven't gotten it, you can grab Creepshow in the bargain bin at your local discounter.

CDE,

CS

"I WANT MY CAAAAAKE!!!!"

3. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Actually I spent good money on it the day it was released. [​IMG]

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I think the sequel is the superior film, and am content with the barebones version of the original, which is a film I find rather overrated. There's only two stories in the first that I like, and even those stories are a bit bland. The sequel, on the other hand, contains one of the best anthology segments ever, The Raft. The Hitchhiker segment is no slouch either. I'm definitely picking up the new Divimax SE.

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I've always loved the first film, but never picked it up.... how the image/sound quality?

6. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Craig, it's a fair transfer--good color saturation and no print damage of note, but there's more gate-weave (shake to the image) than probably any film I own on DVD from 1960 up to today, and the image has an overall softness to it that can only partially be blamed on the original photography. The audio is exactly, precisely average. Would a remaster be welcome? Hell yeah, but the current DVD is still a perfectly acceptable version to have if it's all we ever get--especially for $5.50 at Wal-Mart (I, like Mr. Floto, paid much more for it after it first came out, but I have no regrets...I at least got to watch it before the $5.50ers, he he)!

7. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'd double-dip if Warners put out a special edition of CREEPSHOW. IMHO I think it's miles ahead of the sequel and if Warners would release Romero's 10 min longer version (which does indeed exist in film form), it would be icing on the cake (Fathers day cake that is.);-)

8. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Oh heck no. Like several other early, regular DVD editions of Warners (like Demolition Man), the Creepshow transfer suffers from a jumpy frame that continues for the first 20 minutes or so. I've noticed this on a few discs so far, which I can only attribute to whatever system they used to transfer the films to the format. Even Artisan showcases this "jumping" on some of their cheaper DVDs, most notably making Waxwork unwatchable.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Creepshow needs a remastered transfer. And commentaries from Romero, King, Savini, etc would be great.

10. Drew Reiber

Hear, hear!

How about a screen specific commentary with the actors? Tom Atkins, Tom Savini, Ed Harris, Leslie Neilsen, Ted Danson, Stephen King, Adrienne Barbeau, etc...

Then a crew commentary with Romero, Savini and King...

...then the trailers and some featurettes!

C'mon, it's the one Romero film that actually took the box office top spot! It deserves a special edition.

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I remember when the film came out, I checked out the tie-in comic book from the library so much that it eventually fell apart. [​IMG]

Fantastic film. One of my personal favorites.

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've also been holding off in hopes of something better..

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ted Danson does not acknowledge his performance in Creepshow. He's embarressed by it, apparently! I think it's a superb piece of appropriate ham acting. I love that segment. I love all the segments.

"Ewww! Meteor shit!"

14. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Oh, come on Ted. It was a fun role, wasn't it?

15. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Jeez, Drew, I did mention the gate-weave issue...

16. Drew Reiber

Good god, you're right. Sorry.

I saw the "fair" comment and my eyes went blood red. Sorry, I'm particularly subsceptable to that problem as I get headaches (even bad pan & scanning does it), so I'm particularly sensitive. Still, my mistake.

17. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Here's another vote for a good SE of Creepshow.
    The video looks very soft, and I don't even have a
    16x9 TV yet. This has to look like shit on a
    widescreen TV set. Hopefully there will be an
    improved version released sometime.

The packaging says that this is an anamorphic
    transfer. Is this true?

18. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Jeff. Side 1 is 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and side 2 is 1.33:1 open matte. It's not the sharpest transfer I've ever seen and is quite grainy at times, but on the whole, it's not bad, really. But a fully remastered Special Edition would sell quite well, I assume. As has been noted, it's Romero's biggest box office hit and all his other best films have commentaries (Season of the Witch / There's Always Vanilla are coming soon) expect Creepshow and I'm sure there are some interesting stories to tell.

19. Drew Reiber

As much as I think Creepshow needs a touchup release, The Dark Half needs it even more. The Pan & Scan only disc looks to be 2 or 3 generations down from the master, to the point where my girlfriend thought it was shot on video. I've seen VHS tapes with better quality transfers.

20. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Gordon.[​IMG]

Creepshow is one of my favorite movies,
    so I would definitely upgrade to a SE.