What's new

Diva Owners - Quick Poll (1 Viewer)

Chris Sharp

Agent
Diva Fans,

I recently received my 4.1, C3, and 2.1s. They sounded great out of the box and are sounding better everyday.

I am driving them with the Onkyo 600. There have been a lot of messages going around saying the Onkyo is underpowered. While I am not completely convinced it's underpowered, it does make me nervous considering my substantial investment in these great looking and sounding speakers. Therefore, I am considering exchanging it for a higher end model, but I am not sure what.

So now for the poll,

1. I would like to know what Divas you own

2. What you use to power them

3. Are you satisfied with your receiver or are you considering upgrading in the near future, if so why, and what models are you considering.

Thanks so much for everyones input!

PomingF

Second Unit
I am driving mine with separates but have read several owners' comments on how adding separate amps to their receivers for the fronts improve the sound. AV123 used the Outlaw receiver in demo'ing the Diva's @ the CES couple years ago. If your receiver puts out at least 75 REAL Watts/channel, you'll be okay & of course you can always add a mid-fi, mid power amp (>100W/ch) for the fronts later.

PF

Nico

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own Divas but you should take a look at going to separate. Buy an amp and use your onkyo for temporary pre. This would most likely beat other HT receivers. My .02.

Nico

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I have the 6.1's, C3, and R3's. I am driving them with two Cinepro amps, a 12KSE for the 6.1's and a 2k6III for the center and surrounds. I definitely don't have to worry about ever under powering the Diva's, and the sound of these two together are awesome. You can pick up some very good used amps on audiogon.com if you're worried about the Onkyo.

Mike

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thanks for your replies MikeAF, PomingF and Nico.

All three of you seemed to suggest separates as the best option. I am new to home theater audio and not sure really where to start. The onkyo 600 I know does not have pre-outs. I bought it from CC and am still within the 30 day return period. What are some suggestions about what separates I should consider. I have no idea what these would cost either. I guess best thing to do may be to get a receiver with pre-outs and later on when $$$ becomes more available consider a separte amp. But how much are talking for a preamp and an amp. Sorry if this is not the correct lingo..as I said I am new to all of this.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

PomingF

Second Unit
Chris, you are hearing it everywhere these days. In fact I just said it earlier. OUTLAW.
Of course there's nothing wrong with your plan B either. Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, etc. to name a few are receivers what most Diva users have. To me you know enough to realize preamp outs are needed for adding separate amps. :)
PF

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Chris,
Although it would be nice to consider separates, the Outlaw rigs start at $2200.00 for the 950/755 combo. I think that for about $700.00, the Denon 3802 is one of your more reasonable choices for powering the Divas. It is used by a lot of Divans, and has alll the latest features.

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
1. I would like to know what Divas you own

A. 6.1, 4.1, 2.1 & C3 (Velodyne sub)

2. What you use to power them

A. Denon 3802

3. Are you satisfied with your receiver or are you considering upgrading in the near future, if so why, and what models are you considering.

A. I'm satisfied with the 3802, but I'm waiting for my Outlaw 950/770 to be delivered.

At some point you'll realize that Home Theater is a "Hobby" (disease) and the only way to satisfy this "Hobby" is to continually seek the newest Bell or whistle, hence upgrading is a never-ending fact, depending on how bad you've got it.

Harley

Walt N

Second Unit
Underpowered AND with no pre-outs, that stinks. Onkyo receivers used to be very good. I wonder what's happened over there? For a great budget receiver I'd highly recommend the Denon AVR-2802. It has full pre-outs but you may never need them unless you like it REALLY loud. IMO Denon AVR's have great pre-pro sections and adequate amplification for most speakers and users.

I'm using an older Denon AVR-3300 with an Outlaw 750 amplifier with Diva speakers. The extra amplification helps about 5% of the time as that represents the percentage of time I spend listening to music more loudly than I should. I could live without it but it does fill up the rack nicely.

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thanks everyone for your replies.
At some point you'll realize that Home Theater is a "Hobby" (disease) and the only way to satisfy this "Hobby" is to continually seek the newest Bell or whistle, hence upgrading is a never-ending fact, depending on how bad you've got it.
This disease is expensive...does health insurance cover it? ;)
It seems the concensus would be that if I had the money go for separates...no doubt. Unfortuanately, I don't have it to spend right now. And I am probably better off not knowing how much better it sounds right now.
My budget is to stay under $800. So for receivers I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon 3802 or the HK AVR520.
I was also looking at the Onkyo 797 but with the ticking problems I've heard about I think I am going to steer clear of them for a while.
Does anyone have a strong feeling one way or another between these two? I will be using it for 50% HT and 50% music and looking to add an SVS 25-31 PCi.
Thanks for all the input!

Walt N

Second Unit
The new HK look like a winner to me and I've heard many good things about the Logic 7 feature. The Denon 3802 is a proven winner as well. This might be a coin flipper.;)

Users who are viewing this thread