Diva 4.1w/ HTD center, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russ Dunn, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

I thought I had made up my mind for a budget minded speaker set up. HTD. I orderd the LIII Center channel last week. With plans to get the LIII Towers in a few months.

Now I have a Diva buzz. & think spending a extra $300 will be worth it in the long run.

A few Questions...

I don't want to spend $500 on a Center channel. How bad of a idea would it be to use the HTD Center w/ the 4.1 Divas?

Music (rock/blues) is my main priority, from reviews the Diva will be much better & my reason for wanting them. (+ they are awesome looking) Will the 4.1 give me a full enough sound with my Denon 1802? Or should I think about the 5.1? I don't have a sub right now and my room is 12x15.

Any comments would be great. Thanks,
    Russ

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Russ,
    The 4.1's will do very nicely in your room, or even a bigger one. I am running my Divas through a 1602, and it it does a commendable job. I would strongly recommend you consider sticking with the C3 as it is timbre matched to the 4.1's. As you know, the center channel is probably the most important for HT, and the C3 is awesome. Not only that, it looks really cool.

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Is it too late to cancel the HTD center or can you send it back? I think you know that matching speakers would be best, you just want us to push you over the edge, right?[​IMG]
    You could even just get by with a phantom center set up on your receiver for now and save up your pennies.
    You're gonna want a sub pretty soon too, aren't you?
    If you mainly want music for now, you could get Rocket mains and a HSU VFT-2 sub to start with, and add the rears and center later. That way you would have good solid stereo and bass for your rock/blues music. You wouldn't happen to like Stevie Ray Vaughn would you?

4. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

As an FYI...a Diva 4.1 + C3 + 2.1 package is $1198 + $100 off freight. That's $500 off total [​IMG]
    Sean

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Jeeze Sean, you may as well just give them away. [​IMG]

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

7. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

Damn it! but thanks for the replies [​IMG]
    Yes, Stevie was a blessing! I saw him 2x, both shows have a good story/memory behind them. Jimi is my main man. I think every room in my house has some type of picture or reference to him :b .
    That Diva deal is tempting. But I'll bet it gets better. I just spent a few (too many) hours reading about the Rocket/Diva issue. From the pics I think the Divas look cooler but wouldn't the Rockets make more sense? Divas going out of business.
    Oh! Wait a second I'll be right back...
    You won't believe it but there's a White Van in front of my house and they want to sell me some speakers that look just like the Divas but there's no tweeter mounted on the top!
    This whole thing seems a little too much.
    Russell T. aren't you a Rocket listener now?
    J.Fo- What do you think? You really aren't interested in the Rockets?
    How much better does the Rockets finish look?
    What's the deal with the rsc100 using a different tweeter, when they say to keep the L,R and Center tweeter matched the same? But it's Ok this time? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Russ

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Russ,
    the rsc100 is matched to the 150's, not the 250's and above.
    from at least one person who has the 150/100 set-up, he sounds satisfied.
    i think the rockets are incredibly beautiful speakers.
    nothing really showy, just that the deep lower sheen rosewood and glossy black tops and bottoms look very attractive together. and the curve to the body adds alot also (just speaking asthetically, although i'm sure it has acoustic purpose as well).
    i have/had the 250's w/ the 200 center and can tell you these really are great speakers.
    the 250s packed a solid & impressive dynamic punch.
    i went out to buy a bunch of cds when they first came in, to really put them thru their paces, and one was Electric Ladyland.
    one of the first tracks, the tones seem to clearly encircle you, and in 2 channel, the rockets pull this off very well.
    i had to check and make certain the surround speakers weren't active.
    i think a lot of people would be happy with the sound from that front end.
    i can only imagine how much better the 550/750s are

i've got to send mine back because i just won't be able to swing them financially at the moment.
    i'm going to delay sending the 200 center back a couple weeks tho, since i'm pretty certain that eventually i would just be ordering the system all over again (and end up sticking myself for shipping 2 extra ways).

i'm sold on them, i just wish i could afford them right now.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

10. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

If you do decide to go with the Divas, also keep in mind that you may still be able to get the C3 with the top-mounted tweeter. I don't know if you're familiar with the design change, or if you even care, but no one else had mentioned it.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

That's right, and I also went for the top-mounted speaker on the center channel.

Also, the latest (and last) production run of the Divas are finished in a darker, somewhat redder rosewood, either exactly like or very similar to the finish on the Rockets. I much prefer it.

12. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Hi guys. Rich Malloy's info is correct on all accounts.
    Thanks Rich!
    Paul, thank you for the kind words...I was very hard for me to have you send the 250s back knowing how much you liked them...better hang on to the RSC200 or you will have to wait for the next shipment when you re-order [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Sean

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

14. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

J.Fo, I'm glad to hear that and thanks for your posting. It's a pretty strange thing to me... Purchasing something that is entirely personal taste based on opinions from people you don't know in the slightest, & trying to figure out if their taste is similar to yours.

Just from description, like you, the Divas sound to be more of what I would want in a speaker over the Rockets. I'm a warmer sound person, and after much reading that's what brought me to consider the HTD, along with the price.
    Could you possibly tell me what it was about the HTD speakers that made you think there is something else out there that would be more suited for you? & how the 2 compare?
    I just got my HTD center channel, (it's actually a lot nicer looking than I expected) and my initial thoughts are good. I think it's warm sounding. I'm right on the fence of ordering the HTD towers or sending it back and ordering the Diva 4.1 package. On another note... I have a feeling the Rockets might have more of a true sound, like Studio monitors, which is good, but for long periods of listening I think the Divas would suit me. Sure would be nice to hear all these speakers.

Thank You,
    Russ