Diva 4.1s = Which B&W Speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamJay, Apr 7, 2002.

1. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

In terms of sound quality and performance, which B&W speaker does the Diva 4.1 most closely resemble? Also curious about the Diva 6.1 and which B&W it most closely resembles in sound quality and performance?

Thanks.

2. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

they don't!!! They use a Soft dome tweeter VS B&Ws metal dome, THEY SOUND DIFFERENT!!! many people compare them based on looks (which I will admit is similar), but the sound characteristics is by nature going to be differnt. If you like the soft dome sound, give Divas a try (also look at Vandersteen, Dynaudio, PSB, and totem)

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

William is asking about sound QUALITY, not whether they sound the same. As Rodney pointed out, the Divas use a silk dome tweeter and the B&W's incorporate a metal tweeter.This doesn't mean you can't make a valid comparison. They both have a very smooth slightly laid back from neutral sound typical of British speakers although the Diva is designed by an American distributor and manufactured in China. You would think the B&W's would be brighter than the Divas, but they aren't due to the engineering prowess of B&W. They both have an incredibly sweet full midrange and seamless crossover. They both have beautiful imaging and an open soundstage with clear accurate highs. Of all the speakers I have auditioned, I think the 4.1 can play on the same field as the CDM-7 NT, and the 6.1 holds it's own against the N803. The build quality of both speaker lines is excellent. With the Diva you get the added bonus of outstanding CS from AV123. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

4. WilliamJay

Russ,

I have the 4.1s and purchased them when they were on sale for $499 plus shipping. I was curious to find out which B&W they compared to to get a better sense of the value provided by these speakers. Also, I am curious about how different the 6.1s are from the 4.1s if you use a subwoofer. ( I have the SVS 20-39cs.)

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I think it is a little optimistic to think that the 4.1s compete with the CDM7 and the 6.1s with the 803 (which happens to be a $5000 speaker iirc). I usually hear people compare the 4.1s to the 603, 604, and maybe (a little bit of a stretch, the CM4) these are speakers that are 2-3X its price, so that is impressive, and the 6.1s with the CDM7, CDM9 and maybe the 804 (though I think that is a stretch as well), but those are speakers that are 1.5-2.5X its price, again an impressive comparison.

6. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I too find it hard to believe the 6.1 could compete with the N803.
    For starters the 803 tweeter is one of the best tweeters in the world (I am not B&W fan, but the Nautilus tweeter is still the best metal dome Ive ever heard). Unless Diva has somehow made a tweeter as good for about 1/10th of the price..I would have a hard time believing the N803 and 6.1 comparison. The specs on the tweeter used are average.
    Then again, Ive heard heard the 6.1's, so nothing I have said means much...just commenting on a few things [​IMG]

7. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

I have owned B&W and Kef speakers for most of my adult life. I have always liked the smooth and warm quality of English speakers. I have always felt the main differences between those two brands are that the B&W's manage to eek out quite a bit more detail than the Kefs while still being very smooth sounding. Even at very loud volume levels.

The Divas are the same. I directly compared my Kefs to the Divas at a forum members house and I can tell you that I was immediately put in mind of the B&W sound. Tweeter materials aside, the Divas were more detailed than the Kefs while not being harsh. The midrange characteristics were different than B&W however, with the vocals being a bit more forward. Still, it doesn't surprise me to see the comparisons.

If I had to truly characterize the sound of the Divas, I think they actually sound more like a cross between Kef and Theil. They are very dynamic with a slightly forward of neutral midrange like the Theils, but with a more refined, and silky smooth upper end, similar to B&W's higher models. Overall a very nice sounding speaker that looks and sounds a whole lot more expensive than it is...

My cynical side is telling me that these low prices, while creating legions of fans and unbelieveable buzz on the Internet, are not going to stay this low for long and are going to start creeping upwards one of these days... Still at the present price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking or sounding speaker in it's price range.

8. WilliamJay

Bump

9. WilliamJay

I would appreciate anymore opinions.

Thanks