What's new

Diva 4.1 Impedance and Onkyo 600 (1 Viewer)

Chris Sharp

Agent
Hi all,

I just bought an Onkyo 600 from CC a couple of weeks ago. The min. impedance says 6 ohms. I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Swan Diva 4.1 speakers. However, I am a little bit concerned because on the website the specs say the 4.1's have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. However, someone told me that the back of the 4.1's says an impedance of 4 ohms. Do I need to be concerned about this? If so I'll take back the Onkyo 600 to CC while I still have time and exchange it for a Denon. What is meant my nominal anyway? Anyone else running this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Sharp

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Chris;

Originally the 4.1s had an impedence of 4 Ohms. AV123 eventually redesigned the speakers with a 6 Ohm impedence and all new models will have this.

And don't worry if the label on the back says its a 4 Ohm load. That's not the case. Apparently after they changed the design of the speakers, they still had thousands of labels remaining saying that it carried a 4 Ohm load. Since it would be too costly to discard all of those labels and make new ones, they just continued to use them, in spite of the fact that this bit of information was no longer accurate.

At any rate, my Onkyo receiver cannot send anything other than a 6 Ohm load like yours, and the Diva 4.1s work perfectly fine on them. You needn't worry.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm very nearly convinced that the Diva 4.1's are the speakers for me! So close to that final decision...

I know a lot of folks pair their 4.1's with the Outlaw 1050 (which is what av123/Swan uses at CES demos, etc.), and I'm wondering whether you have your Outlaws set for an 8 ohm load or do you switch them to the 4 ohm setting?

I know Outlaw recommends the 8 ohm setting for speakers with a nominal impedence of 6 ohms or more, but I'm wondering if anyone's discovered any real-world differences on this?

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thank you for putting my mind at ease Jeffrey.
My speakers are arriving tonight. Can't wait too hook them up and hear them sing. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Have you been able to sell your HTDs? Or, are you still convincing all potential buyers to get the Divas?
:D
Thanks again!
Chris Sharp

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'd guess that they are 6-Ohms in spite of that label. My Denon AVR-2800 which is able to handle 6 but not 4 Ohms works fine with the 4.1s.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks