Diva 4.1, c3, 2.1, svs sub vs. def tec pro cinema 200's (x4) c2 center, 100sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

The Def Tec system would actually cost more considering the special Diva has going on. But which one will sound better for movies and music all around? I think diva is located in Boulder which would be good because I live in Denver and I could go check it out. But for those that have heard both what is your opinion?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Todd;
    Here's what you should do: Take a trip to AV123 to hear the Divas. Then, find a place in your area that sells the Def Tech speakers you like. Listen to both and decide which sounds best to you.
    But no matter what, get the SVS! [​IMG]

3. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Todd:
    You can also go here to sign up for an audition to listen to the divas in your area if you can't go to their warehouse. This site was set up by a fan of the divas named Steve (codemarine). He is not affiliated with av123.com at all so he has no bias other than the fact that he loves his divas
    From what I gather, the Def techs are pretty good at HT but the Divas are very good at music AND HT
    Happy hunting

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

What Dan said. [​IMG]

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

IMHO, it is a myth that Def Tech speakers do not sound good with music. With poor setup and with associated equipment that does not match well with them, then I can understand people forming such conclusions.

How much are you getting the ProCinema package for?

6. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with Bob on the bias against Def Tech and music that seem to persist around here. I listened to Klipsch, JBL, Paradigm, Atlantic Tech, Polk and Def Tech before I bought. None of the Def Tech's sounded bad with music.

It all boils down to personal preference. I appreciated the feedback everybody gave here, but in the end, I really needed to listen to them myself. Even the Sales man tried to tell me the Def Tech PM200 was better than the SM350, but not to my ears.

7. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

If I got the pro cinema package I would not be getting any great deal. At most 10% off msrp.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

From a pure content standpoint...the Diva speakers would be several large steps ahead of any like priced offerings from the big commercial guys.

The 25-31PCi is going to completely outgun the 100sub. The DT1500TL sub would be a better match...but even then it's bringing a knife to a gunfight as they say.

If you have a chance to audition all options in your own room...that's definitely the best case. I know Diva and SVS both offer in home trial periods..maybe the local def-tech dealer will let you take home the DT system to compare?

TV