Disturbing pictures inside, help on broken mirror

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryon_M, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

So I'm unloading the moving truck yesterday and get to very back where my prized possesion is, my 42" big screen. Here's a picture of it in my old place

[​IMG]

I look it over in the truck and notice no noticeble damage and breath a sigh of releif and actually tell my wife "phew looks like 2 cross country moves in row and no damage" why can't I keep my mouth shut. I get it inside and hook it up I look at it and see a bad glare and note to myself I'll have to do something about that. I turn it on and realize that's no glare and there's no picture to speak of except some blue haze on the screen.

[​IMG]

This does not bode well. I proceed to take it appart and finally get it to a point where I can peer inside the tv. This is what I see

[​IMG]

this is upsetting, what you're looking at is a top down view into my tv where the projection pots are. All those chunks are what's left of the mirror that they project onto. What a sickening view. It appears that the pots are in working condition and the only thing wrong is that the mirror is busted, I looks like something fell hard on the back of the tv and that's what caused it to break [​IMG]
    I packed it myself so no one to blame except myself which is even worse.

My questions to you guys

What would you guess this is going to cost to fix?
    Is this worth trying to fix?
    Is this a possible diy thing?

Any advice and suggestions is greatly appriciated.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Even if you can get a new mirror I'd be worried that the broken glass didn't scratch the lenses.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

4. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

just an update, the tv is back up and running. I couldn't find a competant repairman in the area that would come out to work on it so I called circuit city to have them fix it. Total cost was

trip charge - 84.00
    labor - 159.00
    mirror - 50.94
    tax 20.58

total = 314.52

Actually not bad compared to what I thought it was going to cost me when I first opened it up. Still I could have done this myself and wish I would have taken the advice given here. It really was simple when I watched him do it.

But as a side bonus I was talking to the guy about calibrating and told him how I'd been using the service menu to do it. He was at first appauled but when he realized I did kind of know what I was doing he pulled out his service manual and told me further tips and stuff I can do to make it better and it was information I had never seen. So that was somewhat worth him coming out.