1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disturbing new trend in Receivers...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jason_L, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Jason_L

Jason_L Auditioning

Hello,

I am in the market for a new receiver since my 5 year old Pioneer decided to stop outputting the front channels the other day. So I'm looking for a new receiver in the $400-800 range and almost every model I've look at so far (Denon AVR-1604, 1804, 2803, 3803; Onkyo TX-SR501, 601, 701; Integra 5.4, Yamaha RX-V440, 540, 640, 740) has only 1 coax input for digital audio.

Why do they make receivers with as many as 6 optical inputs but only 1 coax input?

I definitely prefer coax over optical and its a pain in a butt to find an otherwise perfect receiver for me only to find it only has 1 coax input (on my Pioneer I had my DVD player and my digital cable box going into it via coax... granted they do both have optical outputs on them, but I still would prefer to stay with coax).

What is up with this new trend?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Check out NAD.

The 762 (about $1100) has 4 coax, and 2 optical.

Not sure what lower models in your target price range have (742 and 752), but I would expect they would be similarly biased toward coax.

BGL

3. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

My HK AVR325 has 3 digital coax inputs (2 rear 1 front). I think you need to expand your list of receivers.

4. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

The Denon 3803 has 2 coax inputs (and I need both)...

- Cryo

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

It seems the more you step up in $$$'s the more coax's you get.

I wonder if it is cheaper to implement optical for the digital connection instead of coax?

6. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

Maybe optical is more widely used nowadays as opposed to coax

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Check out Harman/Kardon's recievers. I own the 225 and it has 2 coax in rear and 1 coax in front. I also agree to liking Coax better. Cheaper, sounds just as good, no worries to the cord being bent to far.

8. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have the AVR-225 as well and use both rear coax for DVD and HDTV. I only use on optical for PS2.

9. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Why is the optical connection used more nowadays anyway? It seems more expensive all around and not any better sounding.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Immunity from electromagnetic interference comes to mind. So does obviating the necessity for cost cutting manufacturers or incompetent high-end ones from designing circuitry that can deal with a wide range of coax types.
    It's only expensive if you want it to be.

As far as needing more inputs, this thread which was started by Bob McElfresh deals with component switching. Many of the suggestions are good and provide cost effective and perhaps superior approaches to what one has already. If all you need is more switching capability, this is a thread that should be read end to end to determine if this is a better approach or you need to spend many hundreds of dollars on a different receiver.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My Marantz SR8300 has 3 coax, 2 of which I am using. 4 optical, unused. I prefer coax also.

12. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

my pioneer vsx-d912k which I bought for $300 has 2 coax inputs (rear). I only use 1 right now for my DVD player but it'll be nice when I get DirecTV or something to have another one.

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ...one could suppose that certain manufacturers might push optical connections because they have a stake in optical cable sales. I think this is the case with several of the Japanese brands...I'm forgetting which ones, I think Denon is one of them...? I've always heard that optical connectors on a piece of kit, a component, were cheaper to install.

14. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Look at the high end Kenwoods. They have 7 coax and 7 optical. I will never be able to use them all and I can live with that [​IMG]

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Yamaha has been using mainly optical for a few years now, it's definitely not a new trend wtih them. It wasn't until recently that their flagships started having multiple coax connections.

You should also consider the equipment that is going to be connected. Most things have optical, but not all have coax. My two satelite receivers, CD changer, two game systems, and every PC with digital out are all optical only. I'd be screwed if my receiver had more optical than coax, as it is I have almost all the opticals full, only my DVD has coax.

16. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

My H/K AVR130 has 3 of each. Each assignable to any input function and each digital input can be assigned to more than one input function. For $300 this receiver is hard to beat in it's $$ range (IMO). Hell I think I like it more than my Sony 777 that I had although it's not built as tough. It has a flexible crossover in it to.

-Marv