Disturbed Believe DVD-A i feel ripped off....

Discussion in 'Music' started by John-Miles, Feb 24, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I just got my Yamaha S2300 and so i also picked up a few new dvd-a's and one of them was Disturbed Believe. it sounds amazing, and I love the surround mix, but i feel ripped off, they recoreded this at 48kHz 24 bit...... sure the videos are nice and all, but i wanted at least 96kHz.... I mena I ahve no idea how much detail im missing out on here that I could have had.

has anyone else noticed other dvd-a's where they do this?

Oh yeah and i also got Linkin' Park's Reanimation... what a piece of crap, i loved hybrid theory, but all this dj remixing I am not a fan of, who cares if there is lots of detail, like i dont need smell-o-vision if im watching pictures of a sewage plant..... sorry for my bitterness, but i wanted to vent and see if anyone agrees with me.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

John,

Though I am not sure of the case of Disturbed, in the past when Warner used lower sampling frequencies, it was because the original recording was in that form. In the case of Disturbed, the original recording could have very well been 48/24, so you are essentially getting the original master tapes. Of course I could be completely wrong here on this title, but either way I am not a proponent of upsampling digital recordings.

As for Linkin Park, it seems like you have a problem with the music and not with the authoring. I have not picked their disc up simply because I am a not fan. Maybe check out some reviews of a disc next time before buying to avoid all this disappointment.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen

Even Bob Ludwig has said this... "It depends. Some of the groups I've worked with, like Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, or Nine Inch Nails, require a lot of compression—it's a part of their sound. So it really depends on the music.

It depends on the master and the music. So stop this nonens about 24/48 vs. DSD.

So Lee, if Linkin Park had been released in SACD (thank god, they havn't) format you still can't hear any difference.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well Justin you are right about Linkin Park, but im nor complaining so much as voicing my disappointment, i got the disc for 20 canadian so hey it was worth the gamble.

I do however find it distressing that a New Disc like Believe (I think it was recored originally last year?) would only have the 48kHz sampling..... but such is life [​IMG]

And not to start a war, but even tho its not as clear, i prefer a lower res multichannel mix to a hi res stereo, I notice a much bigger improvement.

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Lee I am against upsampling of a digital source because what you are essentially doing is making an approximation of an approximation. As Jesper pointed out, artist intentions in their recordings are also a concern we do not take into account many times here. Of course if an analog source also exists, then by all means use the highest sampling rate possible (if this is what the artist/engineer are going for).

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Personally I think the Linkin Park & Disturbed recordings are only 48kHz because, well, the music might not have benefitted from it.

Linkin Park "Reanimation" uses tons of processing & computer-based tricks to get that sound you hear. On several tracks hiss is clearly heard (and that's with the Dolby Digital tracks!). What's the use of 96kHz sampling when you'll only hear the edits and processing artifacts with more clarity? [​IMG]

A lot of rock music is notorious for being badly recorded-maybe that is what is happening here?

P.S. Maybe this is why the new Steely Dan album was recorded in the analog domain. This way whatever home playback format is chosen (CD/dvd-a/vinyl), it will sound as good as possible?

LJ

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

12. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

This is not so much a thread about processing and resolution as it is an observation of the old adage:

Garbage in == Garbage out.

-JNS

13. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

14. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I bought this CD when it first came out, still feel ripped off, I don't think I will fork over the money for a DVD-A version. I liked their first CD alot, but this one I think is just a waste of time and effort.

15. Joe Road

Joe Road Agent

A question about the Disturbed DVD-A. On the packaging it says there is a advanced resolution stero track. The disc defaults to the surround track, and I can't get the stereo track at all. Is it even included? The Top Menu dosen't let me choose and when I press the AUdio button I only see 1/1 tracks? I have a JVC XV-SA75. I also don't know how to see what sampling rate/bitrate the disc are running at on my player. Anyone who has this player know?

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer