Distractions while watching TV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Walter C, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    What are the most annoying distractions while watching TV? Do you take any steps to make sure all distractions are eliminated, if you can?

Things that I really annoy me...

1. phone calls that aren't for me, then those people decide to play 20 questions (Actually, 20 different ways of asking "when will he/she come back?")

2. someone talking loud on the phone, and refusing to move to another room

3. family member not giving me a head's up that they want to record some special on TV (when I had the VCR already recording a show already at the same time), so I have to stop it and let them tape their own thing (using my tape)

As for trying to eliminate distractions, that is almost impossible to do when living with parents. And out of respect for them, I just have to relent and miss shows whenever they want to watch something else.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Since I live alone, I don't really have that many distractions, but I do have to say that I hate it when the phone rings while I'm watching TV or a DVD.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Cable breakup or OTA signal drops. If they start happening during the show, I start to sound like Palpatine getting Maced: "No, no, no, no!"

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Heavy Rain for satellite. But sometimes the best interruption can be your Wife. [​IMG]

5. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

The worst distractions are on the TV itself: network bugs and promos.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

When the driver in front of me suddenly brakes.

7. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

ha! [​IMG]

Well most of the time I watch tv on my laptop (thanks to iTunes or other sources) so getting an IM is annoying.

I hate commericals when watching live tv and will channel surf a lot of the times, and so I'll miss x amount of minutes of the next scene, thankfully I've set up Favorite Channels on my cable box so I can get back to the channel.

Other than that, phone's ringing, family members talking to you during a show, no biggie if it's a show i don't care about but gosh don't bother me during my Veronica Mars or whatever. [​IMG]

8. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

That's my biggest one. What's worse was once the family member finishes his/her diatribe, they have the audacity to ask "so what's going on?".

Now that I have PVR software on my PC and watch it through my projector, I simply pause. But my wife will, for some reason, get annoyed and say "just go back to your show."

9. MarkHastings

Back in the early 90's, whenever a new episode of Cheers was on, EVERYONE knew not to call me or my friend. You'd get an ass-whoopin' if you distrubed our "Cheers" night [​IMG]

I was living at home at the time and my family definitely knew not to knock on my bedroom door on Thurs. nights. [​IMG]

10. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

Especially on USA, when they have characters moving around, and I end up missing what was said on the show.

11. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Exactly! And they seem to be getting worse.

12. MarkHastings

The thing that makes it worse is, they are increasing the size of the logo, bugs, and ads, so you don't miss, but with TV's getting bigger and bigger, the ads are getting even MORE annoying.

I mean, these bug/ads are now bigger than my original 19" tv!!!!! [​IMG] WTF?

I guess it's working because I'm noticing and it seems like the cable providers are happy with pissing people off. They must figure that pissing people off is the only way to get their ads on the air and no amount of complaining is going to stop it.

I guess the only way to stop it is to unsubscribe from cable, but in order for that to be effective, we'd all have to do it and I just don't see that happening. But DAMN, imagine if it COULD happen!?!?!?! That would be SWEET!!!!!!!!

I'd LOVE to send a big old bucket of "F' YOU" to Comcast and watch them crash and burn. [​IMG]

13. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

And adding sound effects as well. There is another way to piss viewers off!

The only time I thought it was funny, was in an episode of The Simpsons, when the ads showed up, and Homer just ate them.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Comcast doesn't place the bugs. I get them OTA as well.

I was watching something on whatever channel has Nip/Tuck, and they would show an ad for that as a bug, and it was accompanied by the typical movie sound effect of a knife being taken out of a sheath.

15. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein

My mother called me during the FINAL EPISODE OF CHEERS.

And I was at a friends house! When she couldn't reach me at home she just decided to start calling my friends to see if I was there!