What's new

Distracting Image Artifacts w/ New PS DVD (1 Viewer)

Quinn.M

Auditioning
I recentely replaced my old DVD player with a progressive scan player for my home theater, which includes a DLP projector (the projector supports progressive scan). With the new progressive scan DVD player, I've discovered some distracting artifacts to the image quality -- most notably a pattern or texture that appears across the entire screen. The devices are connected to a home theater tuner via composite cables and I'm wondering if I need to use S-video cable or if there's some setting I need to adjust. Any ideas?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you are using composite video, then you are not watching progressive scan. YOu are watching interlaced composite video ... the worst output the DVD format has to offer.

Only with the component video cables will you be able to see progressive scan and then you have to "turn it on" in the player to see it. By default, it is usually disabled.

Regards

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
DLP projectors accomplish gray scale by adjusting the mirrors so more or less time (expressed as duty cycle in percent) has the mirror reflecting light down the light path to the screen. Viewing up close you may see individual pixels flickering at different rates. From further back you may see an overall crawling effect in an otherwise solid color patch.

To recap, the DLP projector flashes content on the screen successively as red, green, blue, red, green, blue, red, and so on. Now consider just the green flashes. If the projector has limited choices of duty cycles and the green flashes are as follows: long green, short green, long green, short green, the chances of seing flicker are more compared with flashes as: medium length green, medium green, medium green, medium green.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks