Distortion on HP output of SCD-C775

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Leggatt, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

I just got my 775 and have been playing the tunes on it for quite some time this evening. Got a little late so I plugged in my Sen HD590's to check out the HP capability and the output to the HP was horrible distorted. I checked the receiver's HP out and it was fine and I also checked the HP out on my Sony LD and it was fine. The 590's are not the problem. Anyone else notice this?

Also noticed one thing for sure, flipped back and for between the 5.1 inputs on the receiver and the stereo inputs while listening on the HP. The processing of the receiver and the disc player are totally obvious on redbook CD's. The Denon 3801 was much warmer sounding than the 775 on analogue direct. Hopefully this changes with some burning in.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I have never used the headphone jacks on my SACD changers. Your experience makes me think about what might be going on with my players. I'd say something is wrong with your 'CE775. If a store in your area has a 'CE775 on display, take your headphones and a disc over and try it out.
    As for your comparison of DACs, I am not surprised by your observation. The 'CE775 is not a warm-sounding CD player, and I have found Denon receivers to be on the warm side. That's my feeling based on experience. As for the sound of the 'CE775 changing, see what happens. I have never experienced burn in of components, but others have. In fact, the subject of burn in on the 'CE775 was just discussed here recently. Here is the link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=77460

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Ken, I can't comment on your HP issue as I don't use them, but I can confirm that the redbook performance of the player left much to be desired when I first got it. I don't know if I would say that I could hear the processing, but it definitely sounded thin and uninvolving, with a lot of noise that obscured detail. I've since had my player modified by Matthew Anker and the results have been tremendous--redbook sounds wonderful now and I feel like I've just got a totally different player in my system. Matt is a member on this board and if you do a search, you'll find some of the threads that he's participated in.

4. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?