Distortion in Panasonic 32" screen. Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Z, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Josh Z

Josh Z Auditioning

Heya. This is my first post, but I’ve been an avid reader of HTF for quite awhile now. You guys are the most knowledgeable and friendly group out there and I have learned a ton from this forum.
    Enough with the sentiment! Here’s the question:
    My 32 inch Panny TV (not sure of the model number off-hand, but it is a ‘99 model) is getting some distortion towards the top of the screen. It is less than 1/8th of an inch wide running the length of the top of the screen. The distortion is mostly white, but it bleeds into moving bit of blue, green, red and yellow.
    The strange thing is, it is only visible with broadcast TV (both cable & satellite) NOT while watching DVD, and it is really only visible when the screen is black: Dark scenes, transitions between commercials, letterbox movie and shows with the “black bars”.
    I noticed it quite some time ago, but it is becoming increasingly annoying, especially sine more television programs are being broadcast in windscreen/ letterbox.
    I don’t think it has anything to do with the shielding of my center channel or L/R channels. The distortion remains when the speakers are removed and, as I said, every thing looks great when watching DVD or other sources. It’s not really like magnetic distortion (I've seen what that can look like) this is more like extra information broadcast at the top.
    I can’t explain it, and I’m hoping there is something I can do apart from buying a new TV…
    Any ideas?

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Is it at the very top of the screen (next to the edge of the tube)? If so, you may be seeing the edge of the viewable area, and since images are usually a bit smaller when dark material is displayed, that would explain why it shows up in dark scenes. You should be able to correct this by going into the service menu and adjusting the vertical overscan a bit to hide the edges. Someone with a Panny tv will have to tell you the code to get in and what items to mess with 'cause I don't have that brand of TV. Good luck.

3. Josh Z

Josh Z Auditioning

Yes, Jason, that’s it exactly. It is right at the top of the screen. Can anyone with a Panny TV tell me how to access the service menu and adjust the v.o.? Thanks in advance!

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Josh, if your set is under warranty, you could get a tech to come adjust it and that way you won't void the warranty by messing in the service menu yourself. If you want to do it yourself it will be easy enough though as you will only need to adjust one or two items in the menu. If you don't get a response to how to get in the service menu then try searching for Panasonic service menu or something. Hope this helps.

5. Josh Z

Josh Z Auditioning

I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that Panny TVs only come with a 1-year warrantee. Since I bought in ’99, I’m sunk in the warranty department. I did several searches after your first post, but couldn’t come up with any specific information on getting into the service menu.
    Does any one know how to access the service menu and adjust the vertical overscan (or whatever I need to adjust)?
    Thanks a ton!

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Josh,
    It might help if you list the model # of your TV. Try posting again with model # listed in the subject line.

7. Josh Z

Josh Z Auditioning

Thanks Jason.
    It's a Panasonic CT-32623W. I'll take your advice and start a fresh thread with that information in the title.
    Feel free to let this thread die and post any helpful info in the new thread.
    Thanks everyone...