Distortion in Car audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Right now I have 2 amps in the back and am running the power cables parallel and right next to the rca patch cable.

I am thinking this could be a reason for a hiss I hear...

Should power cables be on separate sides of the car as the audio cable cause right now they're all bundled in a plastic flex tube?

Also was wondering how would it work if I add a twelve inch sub to 2 existing ten inch subs. Will It sound alright with the deeper bass of the 12 added to the tens?

One last question would be how to make highs less harsh. What would I start to play with...

94' Toyota 4 runner

Sony cdx4000 reciever

Sound stream 100 watt amp for alpine component system

Ppi 200 watt amp for two 10" Ppi subs in sealed mdf enclosure

Dynamat orginal on speaker panels

Pioneer 4" front w/titanium tweeters

purple monster medium amp kit for subs

radioshack "pro" 3 foot rca interconnect between amps

other notes that may be important:

speaker wires are thin insulated copper wire that just rest on the sheet metal of my car.

tweeter excess wires are bundled with zip ties.

I would really like to tune my car more because I spend a lotta time driving. Thanks

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have a couple of questions first. The hiss you hear. Do you hear it in the front speakers or in the subs?

Normaly if you are hearing a hiss...the gains are not properly set on the amp...you have them too high. YOu need to gain match your amps...wich means you need to turn the gains on both amps all the way down... turn your stereo to 3/4 volume. You then turn the gain up ..one amp at a time..till you get distortion..and then back off a notch. This is the rude way of gain matching your amps and should get rid of any hissing you may hear.

As for your cables- a good rule of thumb is to always seperate your power wires and your rca's..wich yes- run them down seperate sides of the vehicle.

Use decent cables and wires..and you should have no noise.

Hope I answered your q's..good luck..thomas a.

OH yeah...dont mix the subs... just stay with all 10's or 12's.. mixing is not a good idea..especialy in the car audio eviroment

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Thanks, I'll try separating the cables and adjusting the gain on my amp. (it's the component speakers that hiss not sub)

It is somewhat difficult to do though since the front speakers are 4" and powered fine by the receiver since they are rated 20 watts RMS nominal. (So my 2 channel amp is only for the rear speakers)

So what i've done is adjust the gain on the rear component system to match the front speakers. When I do that the rear speakers have more THD.