What's new

distance question (1 Viewer)

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
heh i seem to put this on top every new thread, well here we go:
Link Removed
As you can see there is not much distance from left to right wall.
I will place front speakers (paradigm atoms or axiom m3's or m22's) less than 1.5 ft from each side of the TV, is this not enough distance b/t them? I am thinking they would sound better with more distance b/t them (imaging better, etc.)
This is the max distance i can separate them.
/snip/
I am worried that the geometry of the room is not supportive of good HT performance.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
i wanted to note that i do not believe this would be a problem if the chairs were not located so far back in relation to the rest of the room.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say without actually trying it out. The only thing I can think of is that since the distance of the speakers from the listening position is relatively high compared to the distance from the side walls, the reflected sound may interfere with the direct sound. This is probably a non-issue for HT, may affect imaging for 2-channel music. You could try dampening the first reflection points on the side walls, that might help. Those smooth wooden surfaces would probably reflect sound pretty well.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, so maybe this would not be a good room for good stereo music b/c the imaging will be lost.

In that case the Axiom M22's might not be worth it.

Anyone else?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
M3s did not seem to be too sensitive to the room, and they are quite efficient. M22s might be overkill for a room that size. I would not recommend pointing the rear speakers directly at you, but rather towards the front of the room with a room this small. If you point them directly at you, even when calibrated, they will be very close and sounds could become very localized (you will be able to tell where the speakers are).

You might actually want to look into bipole or dipole surrounds for this application. They tend to cost more, but in this room, they will probably work better. Move the chairs a bit closer, and align the surrounds to either side of the listeners. Normally, I don't recommend bi/dipoles, but in this case, they might work better.

This room is far to small for good front imaging. 7 ft is barely enough for the mains, IMO. You will likely have to toe them in to minimize first reflection. Calibration will be critical to this room, as the proximity of the speakers to the wall will greatly affect the performance along with the size of the room.

The walls appear quite reflective, and this will be a large factor in the resulting sound. I would strongly second Saurav's recommendation for some sound damping.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Well, good thing i brought that up!!!
I think the m22's are out for this room, perhaps another room will get their treatment at a later date :)
As far as dipoles, what orientation should they be placed in the left and right corners of the room (keeping the chairs as they are)?
Would some fabric (like that seen on the front wall to the right of the "door") act as sound dampening on the walls?

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
So, if i were to get 2 pairs of m3's, given this room, would the VP100 be more fitting?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, VP100 should match perfectly with the M3s. I'm sure you could go with the VP150, if you seriously intend to get the M22s later.

The bi/di's could be mounted in the corner, or inline with, and to either side of the chairs - that's why I suggested moving them forward a bit, to avoid the windows on the right side of the room. Bi/Di's normally face front and rear, with no drivers pointed at the listeners, but in the case of Axiom's QS4, the faces are at angles and you might have to experiment with placement. The QS4s though, would still likely be best suited to being inline with the listener so the sound you hear is almost entirely reflected, not directed at the listener, for a diffuse surround effect. They will probably still do OK in the corner, but you will have to try them out in different orientations.

Yes, even that wall hanging would help with reflections, IMO.

Good luck.

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
Joe,

The vp150 is an awesome speaker, but it would look crazy with your current setup. That beast is HUGE!

The VP100 would work fine as suggested.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, egg crate foam like materials are best for room dampening, but since other normal humans appear to visit this room, you'll probably have to make do with fabric :) I think the thicker the better, so maybe hang up a rug on the wall, or something like that. If you can, put bookshelves there, making sure the books are arranged randomly as far as their length goes (you don't want the spines forming another smooth flat surface). The specific spots you want to address are midway between the plane of the speakers and the plane of the listener's ears, and midway between the height of the tweeters and the height of the listener's ear. A good 'trick' is to have a friend move a small mirror along the side walls until you can see the tweeter from your listening position in the mirror - that's the first reflection point.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the suggestions.
i'm gonna consider the Qs4's, and think i should save the m22's for a room better suited for listening to music, so i can enjoy them. So if i go w/ axiom (vs paradigm atoms (size aesthetics)), i'll get the vp100 w/ m3's

I'm lookin at the room, and as much as i want to get the SVC sub, i keep on thinkin how silly it would look in that corner. The Hsu vft-2 would fit very nicely in that nitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks