What's new

distance of a audio cable and quality loss please help (1 Viewer)

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
i am going to be connecting my computer to my theater receiver in my bedroom and was wondering about quality. my soundcard has rca out digital coaxail and optical out. which would be the best for running a distance of about 25 feet ?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I don't know that either of them will suffer from 25 feet alone as a distance. A decent RCA connector on a coax digital cable usually makes a better electrical connection and optical could suffer if there are lots of bends both in terms of transmitting and the life of the cable.

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks alot. i figured optical wouldnt work to well. prob ably just go with r/w audio.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For a DVD player, the coaxial-digital connection specifies you must use a 75 ohm coax for the connection. I'm guessing your sound card follows the same spec.

Red/White audio cables CAN be made with 75 ohm coax, but it could also be 50, 110, or 300 ohm.

Go to Radio Shack and buy RG6 CATV coax with the "F" connectors already attached. Buy 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors and attach them and you've got a long, 75 ohm coaxial cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks