Distance from projector to screen???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim-K, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

In our new home, we are building a theater...it is 11'x 21'. I have spent the past few nights reading many "forum" threads, your insights are invaluable! Is there a resonable location to mount the projector supports and electrical without knowing the exact projector I will purchase; Sony, Sharp, Yamaha...etc? We would like the screen to be about 8' wide. I thank you in advance for any reply. Newbie, Jim.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jim,

The problem is that there is a huge variation in the various projectors for throw ratios....

So the only way, would be to plan for any / all of them.

Regards,

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto to what John said.

Although, if you are looking for an estimate for an 8' wide screen, look to be around 14ft away for a typical projector.

However, that said, do your research first.

4. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

I thank you both. As technoligies continually change, we were going to wait 'til the last minute before buying the projector. However, with electricians asking, "Where do you want the power???"...things become a bit confusing. We are a few months away from moving in, by then I am certain we will be overwhelmed with choices. Thanks again, guys.

Jim

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I'd ask them to put a few dedicated lines into that room, just in case. Also, if you can, put a 3" PVC pipe in (between projector location and electronics rack) so you can feed cabling to your projector.

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well another thing to help solve the problem is simply to look into many current projectors and see if there is some consistancy in throw distance ranges.

If you know how big a screen you are going to have then there is already a recommended seating distance. If all the projectors have a certain throw distance in their range that will work with you seating distance and room size then you can probably have the wiring done to that area.

I don't know all projector but I would be suprised if you didn't have a decent amount of range with any of them to give you plenty of flexibility.