Distance for front speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave_McNulty, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Dave_McNulty

Dave_McNulty Auditioning

What is the rule of thumb for the distance each front speaker should be from the screen, and the distance each front speaker should be from the viewer?

I searched the forum but couldn't find this answer, so apologies if it's too mundane a question.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There isn't a "formula" per se. For a screen, Ideally you'd want the speakers at the edges so that the imaging matches the video, or behind the screen would be even better for imaging everything right on the screen.

As for stereo listenening, usually most speakers are best in an equilateral or isosceles triangle. You can play around with the distance/placement/toe-in and get slightly different results, so I would hesitate to say that there is any "rule." I would, though, try to get the center and mains equidistant from the main position, rather than in a straight line, which makes the center slightly closer.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

WOW, that surprises me, I had, until now, thought that the center should be slightly behind the mains.
    The mains slightly forward of the screen and toed in to the listening area.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Kevin: I meant put the mains and center equidistant (in a big arc), so that they *ARE* equidistant, and NOT in a straight line.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

First, use this Viewing Distance Calculator to set your distance from the television.

Now you want your L/R speakers to be at a rough 40-45 degrees from the center. (Mine are at about 30 degrees so this is not a critical rule).

But the more separation you get, the more dramatic the panning effects will be. All those pictures of a TV with the L/R speakers butted-up against the sides look good for advertisments, but it's not really good for sound.

You CAN pull your L/R speakers into the room so they are the same distance as the center. This has the advantage of giving the L/R speakers room in the back which creates a more stadium/theater sound.

But your receiver should have both delay times and level adjustments for the center and rear speakers in case your decor (or spouse) insists the speakers remain parallel with the TV.

6. Dave_McNulty

Dave_McNulty Auditioning

Thanks y'all.