Dissimilar subs--SVS and Polk?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Henchey, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Brian Henchey

I would like to augment my HT with an one of the SVS PC-Plus' (probably the 25-39). I currently have a Polk PSW650 subwoofer (dual 10" drivers; good to about 30 hz, but lacks low-end) and since budget constraints would prevent me from buying 2 SVS', I was wondering if the SVS and the Polk would "play nice".

With the speakers set "small" and crossed-over at 80hz or so, I figured that I could insert an inline filter on the Polk to roll off anything below 60hz and have the SVS pick up the slack on the low-end (with its own filter set appropriately). Does this sound like a wise course of action or should I rethink?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I am not sure what you mean by an "in line filter". You cannot just use an inductor in series, or a capacitor in parallel, you need a crossover.

Properly done, what you propose is doable. In the real world it doesn't turn out right most the time.

I understand you wanting to use your old sub, but I think the best sound might be achieved by the use of the SVS alone and later on if you find that you're bottoming the sub you can add a second one.

3. Brian Henchey

Thanks for the response, John. Regarding the "in-line filters", I had found a reference to the products at http://www.blackaudio.com/inline.htm#video-iso (with the text reproduced in relevant part below):
    [Line Level Low Cut Filter - get rid of the rumbles!
    Available in a variety of roll-off frequencies (Fc) - get the right filter for the work at hand
    Uses premium Roederstein and Wima parts - get the job done without damaging your signal
    Designed for line level use - do the job without unwanted side effects
    Marked with a label and blue stripe - find the one you need fast!
    #IHF-30 (30 Hz roll-off) - $30.00each
    #IHF-60 (60 Hz roll-off) - $30.00 each
    #IHF-100 (100 Hz roll-off) - $30.00 each
    #IHF-250 (250 Hz roll-off) - $30.00 each
    #IHF-8k (8kHz roll-off) - $30.00 each --- Protect tweeters in a biamp system!]
    Based on your response, I am guessing that this is not the product for me?

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A thought: I would leave the Polk out altogether, OR run the mains large with the Polk inline with the mains via speaker level output which allows them to X-over (but does not limit the low end for the Polk), with the SVS running off the sub out (providing you have the ability to set up your receiver with mains large + sub).

6. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure about home audio, but in car audio, if you dont want your subs to play below a certain freq., you just use a subsonic filter.....mostly used in ported boxes, to keep the subs from bottoming out trying to play the freq below what the box is tunes to.

It seems like they would make something like that for home audio.....just set the subsonic filter to 40hz anf the crossover to 80 for the polk,

and the crossover at about 40 for the svs....I would not think that you would need a ss filter for the SVS.