Display Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Spencer Leung, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Spencer Leung

Spencer Leung Auditioning

Ok, I have recently purchased the Acer PD116P business projector for home use. So far, it's much better than I expected when I project it onto the wall. However, the contrast level is not that great even with the component cables. So I plan on having a large piece of fabric hanging on the wall as my 'screen':

1) What kind of fabric is best for this situation? (Cheap is good)

2) Where can I locate fabric like these in Vancouver, Canada, or any city for that matter?

Thank you so much !

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    A lot of people use "black out" cloth. It is what the curtains at hotels are made of. Many fabric stores carry it. Here it is $7.00 per yard.

3. Spencer Leung

black out cloth? Do I need to spray anything on top? Or just the cloth is good enough?

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I had one made from cloth stretched over a wood frame. Here is a picture of it. Just cloth nothing on top.

5. Spencer Leung

Wow, that looks great, how's the quality when you actually project the image on top?

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Well for the price ($70.00 total) the picture was good. I re-did my whole theater and this time I went with a painted screen and the picture is much better. I used "Screen Goo", but others use home made formulas that you can find in this forum.
    You also should calibrate your projector. I am not familiar with your projector, but the picture reflecting off the screen is only as good as what is projected. I use a DVD called Avia . It will walk you through test screen patterns to set your contrast, brightness and color levels.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Start with the classic cheap solution of blackout cloth, and you should be fine.

And as mentioned, you need to calibrate.

8. Spencer Leung

Okay, thanks man !!
    I'll have an update as soon as I get the cloth... In the meantime, if anyone wants a review of this projector, I'm all game.