Display problem or power/grounding problem?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave H, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

On my rear projection TV, when watching a DVD – pausing it while there is a black background – I see faint, very intermittent waves that pretty much run vertical or from top to bottom….there looks to be 8 to 10 of them and they kind of dance, moving left and right.

I have narrowed it down to being my TV’s problem or my house (something electrical). I know I need to find out which is causing it, but does it sound like it’s grounding or something in the house causing it?

These lines are noticeable on a pitch black picture or very dark scenes in movies. Also, they are visible on my DVD player’s screen saver.

I have tried two different outlets on two different walls; two different DVD players, different cables, with and without my surge protector, but they are still present.

Now, I did hook up a different TV – I didn’t see the waves, but the blackness looked less stable. Also, it was a different kind of tv (direct view).

For some reason though, it sounds like a grounding. If you think so, how do I fix this?

My house is new --- built last year.

2. John S

John S Producer

You can see the effect with nothing hooked to the display at all?????

A power conditioner can help with this some times. hard to say... Ground problems usually indicate a difference of ground between two different components, so if you can duplicate it with nothing else connected, I am skeptical this will be the culprit.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm using the Monster Stage 2 surge protector/conditioner. I even tried it with this, but the waves still show. Also, the waves sometimes start from lower lefthand corner and move to upper righthand corner of screen -- a light ripple tight effect. Very subtle though.

I haven't tried it without anything -- hard to find a stable darker image on regular TV -- also, there is so much noise with regular TV (I have no antenna) it would be hard to test.

I have seen it with two different DVD players from different inputs (component and HDMI).

4. John S

John S Producer

With ground issues, often times it is just the fact that 2 devices can just be hooked up and it can cause it to occure on all sources is all.

Cable box / coax cable grounds are usual suspects on this one. I can add, that some of this stuff can drive you mad figure'n them out.

I know somebody that took back a display to one of the big box stores, only to find out, once brought in, he tried to show them the issue and it was fine back at the store.

It ended up being just such a ground issue with the cable tv.

Best of luck.