Display on monitor is too large after Win2k upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShawnF, Aug 21, 2002.

1. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Figured I'd ask my wise friends at HTF before contacting Dell.

My hard drive crashed last week. Thankfully, under warranty, Dell overnighted me a new one. Installed it and upgraded from Windows 98 to Win2k. Now, certain windows that open in my monitor expand beyond my monitor. Also, the internet browser is too large for the monitor. I've messed with the display settings and the monitor settings to no avail.

I've asked some technical people at work and they don't have an answer. Do I need to upgrade my video card drivers because of the upgrade to Win2k?

Thanks

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Is it just for windows that remembered old settings, or all new windows? Try this: right-click the window's icon in the TaskBar, and choose Maximize. Does the window fill the screen exactly? If so, there may not be anything to it.

You can resize windows that are too big. First, if it's maximized, choose Restore from the same context menu. Then choose Size and use the arrow keys.

//Ken

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

It really sounds like a monitor configuration issue. Try adjusting the controls to size and center the image.

Did you start with a higher resolution and then switch to a lower one? If so, then setting for the programs might "remember" a location in which to start which is off the screen. If that is the case then go to higher resolution and move them far to the left of the screen and make them much smaller. Then close the program via File-->Exit. Go to the smaller resolution and see if that helped. Hope that makes sense...

4. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Ken,
    Thanks for the suggestion. When you say right-click the window's icon in the Taskbar, do you mean right-click the Start button? Otherwise, I'm not really sure what window's icon to which you are referring.
    Thanks again.
    Shawn

5. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

This sounds to me like a resolution issue, where your previous resolution was larger than the current one you are set to now. Try incrementing the resolution up by a factor or so and see if things look "normal" again.

To do this, right click on the background (not on an icon or the start bar) and go to properties. Then click the settings tab, and slide the resolution bar up a notch or two and click apply.

6. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Andre,
    I'm thinking it is more a monitor issue. I did the upgrade to Wind2k at my office and had no issues w/ the display. Only when I hooked the computer up to my monitor at home were there problems.

7. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Andre,
    I'm thinking it is more a monitor issue. I did the upgrade to Win2k at my office and had no issues w/ the display. Only when I hooked the computer up to my monitor at home were there problems.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It could be that you're using older/different display drivers, and running the monitor at a different frequency/sync than you were before, at the same screen size. In that case, the resulting picture may not be sized correctly. But you said that you adjusted the monitor. If you set the desktop background to a color picture or pattern, you should be able to adjust the monitor so that the desktop clearly fits in the monitor.

As for the window's icon, I mean those rectangular icons you get in the Taskbar for each window that is currently open on the screen. Left-clicking one brings that window to the front. Right-clicking it should show you options like Restore, Move, Maximize, and Close.

//Ken