Display keeps adjusting itself

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_si, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Justin_si

Justin_si Auditioning

I'm wondering why my Panasonic keeps adjusting itself in the middle of the program. I'll put it on 'just' or 'full' mode and every so often, it'll just switch to 'zoom'. When I'm watching the news or some program that has the logos and tickers, this is fine. However, when I watch any movies or a movie channel this becomes a little bit frustrating. Especially when it adjusts several times before settling on a mode. Is there any way that I can disable this feature?

2. ScottyS

ScottyS Auditioning

Maybe a few more details would generate some responses. First off, are you talking about a TV or DVD, or do you know which source is doing the switching? Second off, what model Panasonic TV's/DVD players do you own?

3. Justin_si

Justin_si Auditioning

Well, it happens on the TV signal as well as the DVD's. The DVD player is a Panasonic A120U, and the TV is the
    PT-47WX49. I've got my DVD set for 'widescreen' and my satellite box set for 4:3. I had it set for 16:9 before, thinking that this might help, and it still did the adjusting. Hope this helps. If you need any more info, I'll give you what I can.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Justin,
    The tv should not change aspect ratio modes on it's own on all inputs. I believe that set locks on "full" when fed a progressive scan picture but the A-120 is not a progressive scan player.

If this is happening on regular tv, dvd, and whatever other inputs you're feeding it, there is most likely a malfunction in the set or your cat is walking on the aspect ratio button on the remote when you're not looking. Don't laugh, the latter happenned to me several times.

5. Justin_si

Justin_si Auditioning

It's actually not happening when I use my XBOX. I haven't noticed it happening in the past two days with the DVD either for that matter. It happens most often with the TV. As far as it being a malfunction, should I just call up the place where I got it from and ask them to send out a tech? How does that work? I've had it for about two weeks now so I know that it's still under warranty (obviously).

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Justin,
    Some retailers have a 30 day exchange policy, meaning they will swap out the tv for a new one anytime within 30 days of purchase. If the place you bought from has this policy I'd just exchange the set.

If your retailer doesn't have this policy, you'll need to get a factory authorized tech out to fix it. The retailer can probably tell you who to call or may send someone out themselves.

Alternatively there should be a customer service number in the owner's manual that you can contact to find out how to get the set serviced.