Display Devices (TV/Projectors) forum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert James Clark, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

How about splitting the above forum into two forums, one for televisions and one for projectors?
    The AVS Forum is currently the major discussion place for projectors but the site is becoming over-cramped with rules.
    NO price or web sites are allowed to be mentioned!
    Having projectors in their own forum here would certainly increase foot traffic in a "Home Theater" forum.
    Having them lumped together decreases discussion.

Thanks...

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    We are currently looking into other possibilities for the projector area.

Parker

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm still confused on why people continually assume that creating a new area for a topic will miraculously create a new interest and discussion on a topic. Do you think if we split up forums by brand, or then by model, or then by color it would somehow inspire more interest in each and every model?

I could see the logic of starting a new area if the traffic amounts were overshadowing and too much stuff was being covered in one area to make it resonable--- but you don't automatically create interest in a topic by making a new area for it. If anything- you reduce traffic by splitting things up.

We already have a very easily manageable display forum where projector questions are asked and answered. You can splinter it up all you want- but all you do is create niche areas with minimal traffic.

-V

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, the last time the Displays area was subsectioned, the traffic decreased to a trickle. What works for AVS won't necessarily work for HTF.

5. Robert James Clark

Well, "I don't mean to be rude" but it's hard for the more knowledgable, hard core users (not me) to take a Home Theater site seriously when only a tiny section is devoted to displays, hence most go towards the (now overcrowded) AVS.
    But if you prefer the Display area to be as small as it is, then it's your site...

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Robert,

My point was (is)- making 2 seperate areas will not make it any bigger. The problem you point out is out of our hands- if the current membership has no overwhelming interest in displays- that's beyond anything we can control. The issue is with attracting interest, not with how the stuff is divided.

-Vince

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And to reiterate, the last time the Displays area was subdivided, the area became a ghost town.

Thing is, we have a steady stream of people browsing the area, and questions about everything from "hardcore" FPTV esoterica to the most plain-vanilla analog direct-views are being asked in a friendly atmosphere that's non-intimidating to newcomers yet satisfying for seasoned veterans. AVS appeals to a narrowly focused demographic while HTF's coverage is broader.

8. Robert James Clark

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Guys,

There will be changes made to the forum topic
    areas next month.

I think some of you may be happy with those changes.

We will keep you informed.

Happy Holidays!