1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Display Device for high light area

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Heidbreder, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Jon_Heidbreder

I am in the initial stages of planning my Home entertainment system and Im trying to decide what to go with for a display.

It will be in a high light area. Plenty of sunshine will be in the room. Also I would like it to be able to be used as a display for my computer. It will display DVD's, HDTV, Console games, and hopefully computer games.

What suggestions do you have?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most important aspect is your budget?

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

My situation is similar. Most folks in this forum recommend a CRT, the best appears to be the Sony KV-34XBR910 at apx $2200. I've had my 910 for 10 days, it's awesome. If you can locate the TV in a corner, as I had to, you won't mind the huge depth and you'll be able to hide cables. If the 910 is too expensive, then just get the best CRT within your budget.

4. Jon_Heidbreder

The Sony KV-34XBR910

Does seem like a good choice...but 200lbs. Damm that seems like a ton to lug around.

I was think 4000 or less....and I was hopping 42" or more.

5. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Tough spot...I don't think you'll see anything other than a CRT mentionned here for working in a light room...If you want a wide screen set with HDTV capability then 34" is the max...good ones from Sony (510) Toshiba etc cost $1000-$1500.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG] How much are 42" Plasma TV's in your area

7. Jon_Heidbreder

I was under the impression that plasma TV's dont do well as computer monitors.

Does the Sony KV-34XBR910 have a VGA input?

I have a dream of one day surfing the web for stats while Im watching a football game split screen on the TV.
    and
    Watching the football game on th TV while on a split screen Im playing the game on my console.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    In fact, you are correct. If you are going to be using it in a computer setup as well then you have to consider plasma burn-in. For TV alone, it would be a consideration.

9. Jon_Heidbreder

I like the sony CRT and the loewe but I just cant stand the 200lb plus weight.

So its either lcd/plasma/DLP or ? projection

projection doesnt seem to work to well in highlight areas.

Maybe its just my experience from what I have seen on the show floors but lcd seems to not be all that hot with really fast moving objects.

Plasma seems a little pricey although could easily come into range in the next year.

Will a DLP work as computer monitor? Will I be able to surf the web while Im watching the football game?

10. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Have you thought about adding lighting control ? Bright rooms can be nice but they tend to lack privacy. Light control would open up your options a bit.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

A DLP RPTV set might be a good choice. They're very bright, there's no burn in, the contrast is good, there's DVI in, and they're very light for their size.

12. Jon_Heidbreder

Yeah no possibility for lightcontol. This is going to be in the family room and there are windows and patio glass doors all around and I will be sharing the space with others.

So if I go with a DLP RPTV what are my choices. Is samsung it?

Has anyone here used a DLP as a computer monitor before. What was it like and what kind of connection did you use.