What's new

Display DA2ES for $350. (1 Viewer)

Ron.T

Agent
What do you all think of this price for a display? It will still have the 5 yr warranty. It looks in great shape. I am going to listen to it later today. The store also has a HK AVR520 for $500 which is very nice, but I just don't think I can swing the $$.

Ron

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Seems quite good. Just ensure: The remote and manuals are present. Also, make sure there are no serious scratches on the unit itself.

Keep in mind, the STR-DA2ES was quite like the STR-DA4ES, but with a bit less power and a few less features. The STR-DA2ES still has pre-outs so you can attach a separate power amp down the road, if desired.

Go for it !!

Ron.T

Agent
Thanks, Wayne. All the rest of my gear is ES and my speakers are NHT Super One Sat's and NHT sub. My receiver right now is an older HK AVR25. It has been a great receiver and still is in excellent condition, but is definitely old technology.

Ron

Ron.T

Agent
I think I am going to get it. I listened to it today. Although I wish it were a DA4ES, it is still pretty nice and sounds pretty good.

Ron

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Although I wish it were a DA4ES, it is still pretty nice and sounds pretty good.
Personally, I don't think you'll be able to tell much of a difference between the 2ES that you want to get and the 4ES. The remote for the STR-DA4ES looked pretty sleek, but it was a pain in the a$$ to operate. I think the remote for the STR-DA2ES is more straight-forward and looks much easier to use.

Get the STR-DA2ES ... and don't look back.

Enjoy !

Ron.T

Agent
I called the store and asked them to box it up. I hope that I am doing the right thing. I really wanted a TRUE ES piece, but I don't really have the $$ for a DA4 even if I could find one. I am also concerned that a lot of the new audio gear is going to silver faces and I wanted black. I think this was a pretty good buy and it certainly gives me some options that I don't have now. Thanks for your feed back guys. I am sure I will have a question or two later.

Thanks, Ron

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Some people might think the remote is crap - then again, most included remotes are only "OK" - and not the best. I'm not sure of Bill's basis for calling the 2ES remote crap - but, I think the remote for the 2ES looks way easier to use than the remote that comes with the STR-DA4ES.

Ron.T

Agent
Ya, I am a little unsure when someone says that something is crap, with out giving any reasons.

Ron

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I'm sorry for not elaborating. The receiver is great but the remote is trying against sanity. It was difficult to program and to get any components to work I had to almost perfectly aimed at the remote sensor. When I brought the pre program codes for my television, It would mysteriously get unprogramed. I would repeatedly need to reprogram the television. Very difficult to use. I decided to buy a home theater master 9000 and programming was easy and I didn't need to aim directly at the components. Very simple compared to the sony. Yes it seems to be better than the one that came with the 4es and it's definitely better than nothing.

Ron.T

Agent
Thanks Bill, I appreciate knowing this. I have a universal remote that I will use for most day to day listening.

Ron

Shiu

Second Unit
Ron, I don't know about the 2ES remote. I owned a 1ES for a little while, returned it and bought a 4ES. I found the 1ES remote much easier to use than the 4ES one, which I consider pretty close to being "crap". The 1ES is excellent for 5.1 movies so I am sure the 2ES will be even better.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any experience with any other Sony than the DA4ES, but having the 4ES I can comment on that particular remote.

As much as I love the receiver itself, the remote truly is a piece of crap. As an engineer who works with complex systems on a daily basis, for a remote to completely stump me is a new experience, but that remote did it with ease.

Honestly, I think programming a Pronto from scratch is less confusing.

Given that, though, my 4ES is a wonderful machine and I plan on keeping it quite a while.

Take care.

Ron.T

Agent
Well, I picked up the DA2ES last night. I have alot to learn. I have not done much with the remote yet. Works with my other ES stuff though. So far, I like the receiver. Sounds good.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks