What's new

Disparate audio levels on DVDs (1 Viewer)

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I find that audio levels on DVDs seem to vary significantly.

I know that Dolby Digital includes a feature called Dialog Normalization. This is supposed to provide an offset which should result in correct playback levels on all DD tracks by setting the same volume level on your processor or receiver. However, this doesn't always seem to be true.

DTS tracks do not have the DialNorm feature but usually play back at 5 to 6db louder than DD tracks.

Another problem is that even when setting playback for a normal dialog level, opening logos and menu audio levels are sometimes excessively loud, especially MGM DVDs.

My approach to the problem is to place a small typed label inside each DVD case indicating the correct level setting for that film. However, that doesn't solve the problem of the opening logos and menus.

Is anybody else bugged by this problem? I wonder if the studios ever listen to their DVDs.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I find that the trailers seem to be excessively loud. I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to create a dvd with one sound level.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This doesn't only happen with DVDs. The trailers my theatre receives are always mastered @ a much louder level than the feature, so we have to dial back the volume in the processor program for the trailers, then have it return to normal level for the feature. It's a pain in the butt.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Not that I'm bugged, but I can understand why some movies are set at certain audio levels. Usually because of the date the movie was produced or the bit rate.

To solve this problem, I write in the NOTES section of each DVD in DVD Profiler what the preferable volume is for each movie on my HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks