What's new

Disny needs better music! (1 Viewer)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
i don't know about anybody else, but i'm really sick of the sappy music Disney usually sticks into their movies and the boring artists they get to sing them. i'm not a fan of phil collins, elton john, or sting. i find them all as interesting as a slice of white bread, which also sums up their personalities rather well. i couldn't believe when i heard ac/dc on the Lilo and Stitch previews, but alas, no ac/dc in the movie. when are they gonna take a step forward and realize that this is a new millenia already and a "family-friendly" song today doesn't have to be a flow of syrup. i grew up on ac/dc and i have a child of my own. let's get with it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, they've kinda gone off the rails since the Ashman/Menken years. Back then the songs WERE the stars, and they didn't need real "star" names to compose/sing them.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I would lump Ashman & Menkin in with Phil Collins and Elton John and Sting. Too insipid for my tastes.

Give me The Sherman Brothers any day!

BTW I appreciated the combination of (authentic?) Hawaiian music and classic Elvis Presley tunes in L&S.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Sting is only heard on the closing credits of New Groove, and I love that song.

The songs in Brother Bear didn't work at all, but I liked Collins' percussive work in Tarzan, "Two Worlds/One Family" in particular.

I don't think I'd use the words "syrupy" to describe Ashman and Menken.

Disney's got bigger problems of late than choice of songwriter...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I basically agree. Great music certainly helps these films (whether it be Snow White, The Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin or Lilo & Stitch, etc.). But bland music (and that certainly describes Phil Collins to me), actually hurts a film. I suspect that films like Pocohontas, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Brother Bear, etc. are better films than I give them credit for, but that music really knocks em down a peg :thumbsdown:

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
yep, Elvis in Lilo and Stitch gave it a much more interesting character.

maybe Disney would do better if they took a small step out of the safe zone. i mean, did they have to use Tina Turner in Brother Bear? there was no one else a bit more modern to use? and did it have to be such a Disney Cliche' song? time to get a new music department. look at Finding Nemo. no dumb songs, no bland singers, HUGE movie.

now i'm not saying that i wanta gangsta rap in the movies, but something along the lines of Lilo and Stitch with AC/DC or Aerosmith(early) would have been cool. you throw music like that in and i think you get the parents' attention as well as the kids! i hear phil collins and i just think it's the same old tired Disney thing.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ernest,

Thanks for reminding me! EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE had great music IMO.

BTW what happened to your magnificent series of critical articles on the Disney animated features? I sure miss those.

Disney,

Please PLEASE just lay off the Middle-of-the-Road pop and the Broadway musical histrionics.

(Not that anything could save CHICKEN LITTLE.)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I thought that Home on the Range had a good soundtrack. It was good lyrics with good music.

I, too, am tired of the Phil Collins soundtrack. Tarzan worked, as Phil was the inner voice of Tarzan. However, Brother Bear was very bad.

What I would like is another musical, from Menkin. Let's go back to the routes that revitalized the Disney cartoon . . .Broadway!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think songs would have helped The Black Cauldron. Why, I can just see it now, the Horned King down in his dungeon amongst the rotting corpses of the Cauldron-Born...que soft music, downlight on Horned King...

HORNED KING
(singing in high falsetto)

Where is love?
Does it fall from skies above?
Is it underneath the willow tree
That I've been dreaming of?

Where is she?
Who I close my eyes to see?
Will I ever know the sweet "hello"
That's only meant for me?

Who can say where she may hide?
Must I travel far and wide?