What's new

Disney's "The Rookie" (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Caught this new family film last night at a sneak preview at a local military base.

A minor but enjoyable movie that will bore little kids, and mildly interest some older ones if they're interested in baseball. A "G" rated grown-up film that tells the true story of Jim Morris, a high school science teacher and coach takes a shot at his big league dreams as a pitcher after his high school team wins a district competition.

Acting was generally good all the way around, and many in our audience could relate to the early story of Morris as the son of a Navy chief, who must pick up and move every couple of years, because home is where the Navy sends you.

The depiction of Morris in the minors was disjointed, with a subplot of Morris' relationship with a couple of the other players a little confusing.

Target audience for this movie is tricky. It's not high energy enough for most pre-teen/teen audiences, and like I said, it's going to bore kids under 10. So that leaves an older audience, and unless they are really interested in sports or Morris' story, there's not a lot of reason to see "The Rookie." I take that back -- Dennis Quaid IS this movie, and is absolutely the reason to see it

My wife, who is a sports fan, commented as soon as it was over "Well, there wasn't enough action in it for me." This morning, after reflecting on the film, she's decided that her favorite part was the movie was Morris' relationship with his 8 year old son, and the values he works to infuse in him.

I'd give it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars. Okay, but I doubt I'd buy the DVD.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I saw it last weekend at a Sneek Peek and loved it. Damn good film. Dennis Quaid was great. Not much else to say.
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks