Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action Remake)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
McCarthy strikes me as an inspired choice for that role.
For the majority of it when Ursula is a sea witch, I agree. But I wonder what they are going to do with Vanessa (Ursula's fake name when she transforms herself into a human to marry Eric.) If they are keeping that plot point -- which they didn't in the Broadway show but I hope they do here -- they'll have to change things up.

The look of McCarthy marrying Eric (who will be much younger than she is) would be distracting and creepy (in a bad way.) I suspect they'll cast someone else as Vanessa, and McCarthy's Ursula will just transform into that person's physical form. Vanessa is technically a silent role for whatever actress they use, because she uses Ariel's voice. So it would have to be someone young basically standing there while her lines are overdubbed by Hailee Bailey.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Am I the only whose first thought was "Why is Halle BERRY playing The Little Mermaid?"
I absolutely did think that and I was horrified. Besides the fact that she's too old, I am not a fan of Ms. Berry.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, the complaints I saw was the unfortunately expected racist garbage but I was wondering why no one was making the fairly legitimate complaint about how different the age of Berry and the animated character is.
Yeah, this is new for Hollywood, casting an older person to play a younger person. :rolleyes: Please, are you serious?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is new for Hollywood, casting an older person to play a younger person. :rolleyes: Please, are you serious?
Halle Berry is more than twice the age of what I'd consider to be the age of Ariel in the cartoon. I'm sorry if it offends you for some reason but since she's in her 50's, I feel that Halle Berry is too old to play a person of high school or college age.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't care about the race of the actress as long as she can act and sing the songs, but it seems like a departure for Disney after the largely cookie-cutter adherence of their live-action remakes to the animated originals. This would seem to indicate they will go in a similar direction for the casting of King Triton, Ariel's sisters, and Prince Eric and his family.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Halle Berry is more than twice the age of what I'd consider to be the age of Ariel in the cartoon. I'm sorry if it offends you for some reason but since she's in her 50's, I feel that Halle Berry is too old to play a person of high school or college age.
Yeah, 50 is too old.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's Halle Bailey not Berry, and she's 19.

Reactions: SamT

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, 50 is too old.
For planet Earth? Not at all. To play a kid? Yes, it is.

Also, please don't deliberately take pieces of my quotes to change my meaning. I said "...since she's in her 50's, I feel that Halle Berry is too old to play a person of high school or college age." That's much different than you trying to suggest that I'm saying that "50 is too old".

It's Halle Bailey not Berry, and she's 19.
Yes, I'm aware. As I said earlier, I thought it was Berry at first but then realized it was a different person. I thought that mistake on my part was a mildly humorous situation but now, I'm sorry I mentioned it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm R

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't care about the race of the actress as long as she can act and sing the songs, but it seems like a departure for Disney after the largely cookie-cutter adherence of their live-action remakes to the animated originals.
I wouldn't assume that. They can (and should) still make a movie that adheres to the story structure of the animated film with a black Ariel just as easily as they could with a white one. The stage musical toured with Diana Huey, an Asian-American, in the lead role and it did not deviate that much from the basics of the animated film. There were all sorts of different people in that cast. King Triton (Steve Blanchard) was white in that production. On Broadway, Ariel (Sierra Boggess) was white and King Triton (Norm Lewis) was black. They took an inclusive approach in terms of casting from all races, but the show itself was very similar to the structure of the film. I expect the same here.

This would seem to indicate they will go in a similar direction for the casting of King Triton, Ariel's sisters, and Prince Eric and his family.
I want the red hair, which can be done with a wig or dye. But I'm totally fine with Ariel being black, but I hope there are still white people in the movie, because I hope they mix cultures. I hope there are people of every race and culture Disney wants to include. Cast Ariel as a black woman (which they did) and some of her supporting cast as white people or Asian people or Latino people or Middle Eastern people, or whatever other culture they want to represent. This is a fantasy world, so they can do whatever they want. They have a real opportunity here to show the world as they want it to be, featuring characters of all different backgrounds. No one culture needs to own this story. The real world is multi-ethnic and multicultural, and they have a chance to reflect that here to an even greater degree than they did on Aladdin. There's plenty of room for everyone under the sea. The best person for each role should get it, and hopefully that means diversity.

Speaking of the tour, Diana Huey has some thoughts about the casting of Hailee Bailey and especially the racist nonsense being directed at her: https://www.thewrap.com/little-mermaid-stage-diana-huey-nonwhite-halle-bailey-actress-racism/

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ay-prince-eric-disneys-little-mermaid-1224669

He was really good in Dunkirk, so he's got some acting chops, and I don't have a problem with that aspect. But musically, I'm not a big fan of One Direction, personally. I do think the fact that they've cast a singer for the role indicates that they probably plan to have him sing something, which he doesn't do in the animated film, so hopefully he can sing in a more musical theater-friendly style for the movie.

Also, it's worth noting that he is white. Because Hailee Bailey is not, it adds an additional layer of racial subtext to the story, in that it's now about a black person falling in love with a white person, in addition to a mermaid falling in love with a human. This is an interesting angle for them to take with this story.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't know One Direction or Harry, but he is has the chops for the role, great. And having an interracial romance is fantastic. I mean, why not? The story is already about cross-species romance (which literally no one has an issue with), so interracial shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukaribneha