1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's The Little Mermaid (Live-Action Remake)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    For the majority of it when Ursula is a sea witch, I agree. But I wonder what they are going to do with Vanessa (Ursula's fake name when she transforms herself into a human to marry Eric.) If they are keeping that plot point -- which they didn't in the Broadway show but I hope they do here -- they'll have to change things up.

The look of McCarthy marrying Eric (who will be much younger than she is) would be distracting and creepy (in a bad way.) I suspect they'll cast someone else as Vanessa, and McCarthy's Ursula will just transform into that person's physical form. Vanessa is technically a silent role for whatever actress they use, because she uses Ariel's voice. So it would have to be someone young basically standing there while her lines are overdubbed by Hailee Bailey.

2. Message #62 of 93 Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    A bit. She dueted with Streisand on a recent (2016) album and didn’t embarrass herself. I don’t mean that in a backhanded way, either. I wouldn't say she held her own or matched her, but she did fine.

Malcolm R likes this.
  3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Am I the only whose first thought was "Why is Halle BERRY playing The Little Mermaid?"

Tommy R and Sam Favate like this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Probably not, but my first thought was “I hope she’s good.” I really don’t give a damn about the color of her hair or whatever.

TravisR likes this.
  5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I absolutely did think that and I was horrified. Besides the fact that she's too old, I am not a fan of Ms. Berry.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, the complaints I saw was the unfortunately expected racist garbage but I was wondering why no one was making the fairly legitimate complaint about how different the age of Berry and the animated character is.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, this is new for Hollywood, casting an older person to play a younger person. :rolleyes: Please, are you serious?

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Halle Berry is more than twice the age of what I'd consider to be the age of Ariel in the cartoon. I'm sorry if it offends you for some reason but since she's in her 50's, I feel that Halle Berry is too old to play a person of high school or college age.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't care about the race of the actress as long as she can act and sing the songs, but it seems like a departure for Disney after the largely cookie-cutter adherence of their live-action remakes to the animated originals. This would seem to indicate they will go in a similar direction for the casting of King Triton, Ariel's sisters, and Prince Eric and his family.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, 50 is too old.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    It's Halle Bailey not Berry, and she's 19.

SamT likes this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    :laugh: Talk about people getting their panties in a bunch for nothing at all.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I’m sorry, but I wear underwear. :P

14. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Truly though, I’d be fine with Halle Berry in a clam shell bikini, even at 50.

15. Message #75 of 93 Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For planet Earth? Not at all. To play a kid? Yes, it is.[​IMG]
    Also, please don't deliberately take pieces of my quotes to change my meaning. I said "...since she's in her 50's, I feel that Halle Berry is too old to play a person of high school or college age." That's much different than you trying to suggest that I'm saying that "50 is too old".

Yes, I'm aware. As I said earlier, I thought it was Berry at first but then realized it was a different person. I thought that mistake on my part was a mildly humorous situation but now, I'm sorry I mentioned it at all.

Malcolm R likes this.
  16. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

TravisR likes this.
  17. Message #77 of 93 Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I wouldn't assume that. They can (and should) still make a movie that adheres to the story structure of the animated film with a black Ariel just as easily as they could with a white one. The stage musical toured with Diana Huey, an Asian-American, in the lead role and it did not deviate that much from the basics of the animated film. There were all sorts of different people in that cast. King Triton (Steve Blanchard) was white in that production. On Broadway, Ariel (Sierra Boggess) was white and King Triton (Norm Lewis) was black. They took an inclusive approach in terms of casting from all races, but the show itself was very similar to the structure of the film. I expect the same here.

I want the red hair, which can be done with a wig or dye. But I'm totally fine with Ariel being black, but I hope there are still white people in the movie, because I hope they mix cultures. I hope there are people of every race and culture Disney wants to include. Cast Ariel as a black woman (which they did) and some of her supporting cast as white people or Asian people or Latino people or Middle Eastern people, or whatever other culture they want to represent. This is a fantasy world, so they can do whatever they want. They have a real opportunity here to show the world as they want it to be, featuring characters of all different backgrounds. No one culture needs to own this story. The real world is multi-ethnic and multicultural, and they have a chance to reflect that here to an even greater degree than they did on Aladdin. There's plenty of room for everyone under the sea. The best person for each role should get it, and hopefully that means diversity.

Speaking of the tour, Diana Huey has some thoughts about the casting of Hailee Bailey and especially the racist nonsense being directed at her: https://www.thewrap.com/little-mermaid-stage-diana-huey-nonwhite-halle-bailey-actress-racism/

Greg.K and Jeff Adkins like this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/harry-styles-talks-play-prince-eric-disneys-little-mermaid-1224669

He was really good in Dunkirk, so he's got some acting chops, and I don't have a problem with that aspect. But musically, I'm not a big fan of One Direction, personally. I do think the fact that they've cast a singer for the role indicates that they probably plan to have him sing something, which he doesn't do in the animated film, so hopefully he can sing in a more musical theater-friendly style for the movie.

Also, it's worth noting that he is white. Because Hailee Bailey is not, it adds an additional layer of racial subtext to the story, in that it's now about a black person falling in love with a white person, in addition to a mermaid falling in love with a human. This is an interesting angle for them to take with this story.

19. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I don't know One Direction or Harry, but he is has the chops for the role, great. And having an interracial romance is fantastic. I mean, why not? The story is already about cross-species romance (which literally no one has an issue with), so interracial shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Brent Reid and Jake Lipson like this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Did you see Dunkirk? The only reason I know him as an actor is because he was featured in that.