Disney's TARZAN - defective version

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathias Klemme, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

I heard that initially, a defective version of TARZAN was released in Region 1 that had some 5-channel-sound issues. I didn't care whether my copy was one of those since I didn't own a 5.1 setup then. Well, that has changed and now I'd really like to know what version I own. Is there any way to distinguish the bad from the good? Also, why is this 5.0 "only", and not 5.1?
    Mathias

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

If it sounds good to you then it shouldn't matter which version you have.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don't think that's the answer Mathias was looking for.
    Mathias
    Which version of Tarzan do you own? The single disc version or the two disc SE?
    I believe I recall some problem with the surround sound being reversed(?) on the single disc version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    The 2 disc SE didn't have any problems as I recall. As for the 5.0 on both DVD's, I'm not sure why they were released that way, but it wasn't a mistake as far as Disney was concerned.
    That's how I remember things anyway... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

4. Mathias Klemme

I have the single disc version.
    I was just asking because I didn't want to start watching the film and then notice the sound getting screwy 30 minutes into it. Isn't there a difference in packaging or serial number like on the LEON - Director's Cut DVD?
    thanks,
    Mathias

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Tarzan is in 5.0; it has no dedicated LFE. This by design.

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Not all movies today have an LFE track. Wonder Boys is another movie with a DD 5.0 track

7. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    I can't recall or find the exact "time-in" but there was one particular gunshot fired by Clayton that was reversed in the surround channel, I belive.

8. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I had the same thing. I just called Disney and they replaced it no questions asked, without me sending in the old one even.
    The problem was the left surround and left main were getting the same information, if I remember right.
    ------------------

9. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

A follow up question to the mention of the Leon disc above...
    What was the problem with this disc and what should I look for when I pick it up? Thanks!
    -Matt
    ------------------
    "As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake

10. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Hi--
    There's really no way to tell whether you'll get a defective disc or not if you buy the single-disc version. The left rear and left front channels were basically the same on the defective disc due to a mastering error.
    If buying this disc now, I would absolutely opt for the two-disc SE. It's anywhere from five to ten dollars more at most B&Ms, which is really not much to pay to insure you get the right aural presentation.
    The CORRECT soundtrack is spectacular... so I would make sure to get the two-disc version and get the right thing!
    ~Jamie

11. Mathias Klemme

Thanks for all the answers guys!
    As for LEON, the first pressing had the surrounds so low you could barely hear them. Make sure you get the one that says "Newly created English 5.1" in the back.
    Mathias