1claire

Auditioning
Real Name
Claire
Disney, which already owns the Pixar, Marvel and the Star Wars brands, will now also get Deadpool and the Fox-owned Marvel characters such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four, allowing for the full Marvel family to be united. Disney also now owns former Fox television networks such as FX Networks and National Geographic Partners. Disney will also get Fox's 30 percent ownership of Hulu, giving Disney a controlling share of 60 percent.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My guess is this the "first shot across the bow" in dismantling and shutting down Fox's home entertainment division. Especially with the former Fox home enertainment division head being canned today.

Most likely any former Fox employees being transferred over to Disney's home entertainment division (ie. dvds, blurays, etc ...), will not be anybody who is in any position to call the shots.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
My guess is this the "first shot across the bow" in dismantling and shutting down Fox's home entertainment division. Especially with the former Fox home enertainment division head being canned today.

Most likely any former Fox employees being transferred over to Disney's home entertainment division (ie. dvds, blurays, etc ...), will not be anybody who is in any position to call the shots.
This why I was against this deal, Disney now has two libraries that will rot along side with their own. Most likely what will happen is Disney will look through Fox's TV library and deem what they consider a cash cow and leave the rest to rot.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This why I was against this deal, Disney now has two libraries that will rot along side with their own. Most likely what will happen is Disney will look through Fox's TV library and deem what they consider a cash cow and leave the rest to rot.
I disagree.

They really want their streaming platform to succeed. They will likely shove anything they can onto that. Hell, they might even fix some stuff Fox never would, like new Newhart masters, or finding Lou Grant S5.

I mean, look at what Fox finally let escape from the vault in the months leading up to Disney taking over... St. Elsewhere, The Practice, Dharma and Greg, a lot of stuff that never made it to disc entirely. Disney will probably go further to make their platform seem bigger.

Now, as for disc releases? Don't count on it.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I disagree.

They really want their streaming platform to succeed. They will likely shove anything they can onto that. Hell, they might even fix some stuff Fox never would, like new Newhart masters, or finding Lou Grant S5.

I mean, look at what Fox finally let escape from the vault in the months leading up to Disney taking over... St. Elsewhere, The Practice, Dharma and Greg, a lot of stuff that never made it to disc entirely. Disney will probably go further to make their platform seem bigger.

Now, as for disc releases? Don't count on it.
I DON'T CARE ABOUT STREAMING

Shout released both Newhart and Lou Grant, I don't remember hearing complaints about the picture quality on those titles.

Physical releases is why I am still against the deal, that's why I said about the libraries rotting away.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I DON'T CARE ABOUT STREAMING

Shout released both Newhart and Lou Grant, I don't remember hearing complaints about the picture quality on those titles.

Physical releases is why I am still against the deal, that's why I said about the libraries rotting away.
Well, if you don't care for streaming, I'm afraid you're going to be mighty disappointed with the future. The companies have successfully put the genie back in the bottle by clawing the concept of ownership back from the people and convincing them that a glorified rental scheme is the way to go.

And it's likely only going to get worse.

However, the libraries won't be rotting away. They'll be available... to rent, not to own. If you insist on owning something, that probably won't happen.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lets hope VEI still has a contact at Disney who has the authority to make outsourcing/licensing decisions for tv shows owned by Disney/ABC/BuenaVista.

VEI released a few Disney/ABC owned shows: Grandfathered, Galavant, The Whispers.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Well, if you don't care for streaming, I'm afraid you're going to be mighty disappointed with the future. The companies have successfully put the genie back in the bottle by clawing the concept of ownership back from the people and convincing them that a glorified rental scheme is the way to go.

However, the libraries won't be rotting away. They'll be available... to rent, not to own. If you insist on owning something, that probably won't happen.
I still have the actual physical DVD's Blu-ray's and even VHS's so I'm good, especially when those streaming sites go down for any various numbered reasons.

Oh yes, as I can easily see Disney renting out it's library. They most likely don't even know what they have as the last time anyone visited the vaults was maybe back in very early 2010-2011.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
While I (reluctantly) agree that eventually streaming will be the new norm, Disney really will need to be careful or they could shout themselves in the foot (so to speak). I am against the deal for a variety of reasons. People have been predicting the immediate demise of DVDs/blu rays for at least 4-5 years now and while streaming grows physical media is decreasing but physical media still remains. It is not gone just yet and it will not be gone next year either. There are still people (non collectors) who do rely on physical media. They either don’t have reliable internet that can handle streaming (yes, the whole US is not fully accessible for streaming) or other factors (outside their control) prevent them from utilizing streaming services. While I have no doubt that Disney has been foolish at times in the past (and could also be in the future) I don’t think that they will want to lose money and customers who don’t stream just yet.
I also wanted to add something about unreleased shows (mainly because I don’t think it is said enough in the forum). I also have mixed feelings about the shows that haven’t been released. Like everyone else I have shows I want to see released and haven’t and it saddens me they probably never will be. Regardless of my feelings about the merger I want to point out that I don’t think it will really change the chances of anything getting released. As some have said fox really wasn’t releasing much anyway and Disney will probably follow suit. I don’t really see any true scenario where fox would be purchased and all the library released. My personal thoughts on the tv on dvd release slowdown is that most easy to release, popular, money making shows have been released and now what remains are mainly shows that don’t have as wide a fan base, have rights issues, are too topical, etc, are what is left. Those factors don’t really change too much when studios are bought and sold (it could help rights issues maybe or expand possibilities of outsourcing at times, but that also opens up another can of worms about quality complaints).
All in all, I agree that the Disney/fox merger is bad news and probably won’t help the physical media community, but I also don’t think it changes a lot in the long run. The libraries still exist with the same titles still being unreleased. Streaming is still overtaking physical media (although it is not completely overtaken yet). Now unfortunately we have one less studio and a huge loss for the entertainment industry as a whole.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Not that I'm clairvoyant but I think companies will still sell downloads over going rental/streaming-only. Why not? It's another way to make money from people who won't pay for multiple streaming services.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Im against the deal because it seems to me that by the time this is over, we may only have 2 Studios left. Disney and Warner .. I dont mean to bash Universal but Comcast has never been one of my favorite Companies

Reactions: Paintbeanie

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What about reviving the recordable DVD market for those who want physical media? I still have two of these, and some are still sold but hard to find. I am now recording my favorite series to be a back up in case a season is not released. Of course it is not a perfect solution, but rather easy if you still have cable.

When “The Walking Dead”, “The Orville”, “Fear The Walking Dead” and “Star Trek Discovery” new season sets do come out, I replace my DVD-RWs with them and use them again just in case for next year.

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid that it will have a negative impact on releasing "classic" titles. I was really hoping that the "Anna and the King" tv series would make it out on DVD. Less chance of it now.

James
What was the last classic TV title that Fox released? I can't remember most of us have a classic tv title wish list from fox from 12 years ago with no titles crossed off. 12 o'clock high for example.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Yeah like 1998-2001 so they really don't do that now.
Exactly. That Anchor Bay Deal was very, very rare. I'm almost certain Disney will never license out anything ever again.

That is what I fear, but you are probably right.

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Reactions: Tony Bensley

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Disney has always been awful about releasing TV series to home video. If you didn't snag Zorro in the five minutes it was available, you missed out. I am still stinging about Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow. I don't expect this to change. Earth*Star Voyager is long forgotten. I did catch a streaming copy of a bootleg and it aged very poorly so maybe that's not the worst thing ever. Even their feature The Black Hole is only on old Standard def DVD, as far as I know.

Nah, this isn't good news for Fox library releases and classic TV Series.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ree