What's new

Disney's Sleeping Beauty coming next May but I couldn't wait-How's the remaster look? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
This may have been discussed but I couldn't find anything.

The restored version with original six-track stereophonic audio mix should be amazing when it comes to DVD in May 2003 but I had to buy the French 2 disc Collector's set which is 2.35:1 anamorphic with English Dolby Digital 5.1 so I'll tell you what it's like when I get it.

I also wondered if anyone saw the restored version in it's 2 week run from August 22 at the Hollywood-based El Capitan Theater, if so I'd love to know how it looked and what the featurette was like.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DD 5.1 Laserdisc sound was wonderful. It was very faithful to the original mix. A lot moreso than the Lady and the Tramp release (even after they fixed the big editing/mixing gaffes and re-released it on DVD). I hope they have left well enough alone.

Regards,

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I will pick this up as long as it is OAR. I'm sure it will be, but I did hear the some regions, it was P&S. I'm sure they'll do this right...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It'll be OAR.

The film was recently restored on 65mm from the Technirama negatives. Knowing Scott MacQueen's other Technicolor restoration efforts, this ought to look outstanding on DVD.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Somebody clear this up ... it comes out where in May? On DVD? In R1 or R2? Because if it's R2 then somebody please put it in the heading.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It's already been out in R2 for some time now, next May is when the R1 DVD is coming.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Here's a review of the German release(in German).
EDIT-Here's a translation of that review:
Contents
Contents: The beautiful king daughter becomes briefly after her birth of the bad Zauberin Malefiz verflucht and is from now on up to their 16. Birthday in the danger live to die at a spindle pass. The three dicklich lucky Feen Fauna, Flora and sunshine hide themselves together with the princess in the deep forest, in order by the forces Malefizens to be discovered. A daily makes the Dornroe acquaintance with a beautiful prince.
Picture
Format: 2.35:1
System: Pal
Remarks: The picture was really very well restored, because like one it sees was very bad and to still the original raw material to the extras in the original the cinema format. The colors are very strong and the sharpness are also absolute correct. One finds those to drop Outs at the beginning however becomes in the course of the film ever less. Nearly do not picture-rush is to be found and if, then only with the pictures those were not restored. Unfortunately one does not notice that the film was completely restored. Insignificant scenes were worked on not after and recognize one nevertheless very strongly. But it must be clear everyone it much an age Disney classical author is and the raw material was very bad and therefore has one naturally also no picture as with new productions. The only really disturbing point is, which becomes one rather often a picture flickering noticed with that the picture bright and dark. That steps only easily on however nevertheless somehow disturbing.
Evaluation: 80 %
Clay/tone
Languages: German Dolby digital 5.1
English Dolby digital 5.1
Remarks: If one considers that this film is already 43 years old, then one can quite call the clay/tone successfully. Since UP-mix mostly also no miracles to achieve can may one naturally not too much expect itself. Surroundeffekte of the upper league are missing naturally. A certain spatialness comes off nevertheless, if equal itself most action plays over the Frontspeaker.
Evaluation: 75 % (with consideration of the age)
Extra
Running time: 73 minutes
Chapter: 31
Sub-titles: German, German for hearing-impaired one, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Extra: DVD 1:
- Making OF " Dornroe " * (16 min. 20 sec..)
- adventure play: Aurora saves
- Malstudio
- Disney's kind Attack: We tinker a lock (7 min. 42 sec..)
DVD 2 :
History:
- developed like the Geschicht
- first drafts 1951
- Storyboards:
+ the good Feen sinks the lock in sleep
+ the prince is imprisoned taken
Production:
- the music of " Dornroe " (2 min. 45 sec..)
- the Design (03 min. 22 sec..)
- background as developed (1 min. 08 sec..)
- models from the genuine life
- the restoration (2 min. 55 sec..)
- comparison Widescreen & Pa l and Scan (5 min. 56 sec..)
Virtual galleries:
- Dornroe fairy tale book
- the artistic Konsept
- the figures
- background layouts and.....
Various:
- many picture galleries
- one paints like a tree * (16 min. 09 sec..)
- the Peter Tschaikowsky Story * (29 min. 07 sec..)
- Grand Canyon (28 min. 52 sec..)
* in English language with dt. UT
Remarks: It is everything contained which one of extras expected. Whereby on the first DVD with the extras also which for children thereby is, like e.g. " the adventure play: Aurora saves " with which one by a labyrinth, by correct way choice fight itself must. With " the Malstudio " one has the possibility the individual characters correctly anzumalen. With " Disney's kind Attack " one experiences like one a castle tinkers, for children much interesting. " The Making OF " is actually redundant there it only a summary of the 2. DVD in edited version is. The 2. DVD is more for the Seher those really exactly to actually know wants like Dornroe developed. Whereby I must say that the comparison Widescreen & Pal and Scan a video absolutely worth seeing am, with which one sees the differences between Widescreen and frame exact. All in all participates for each something.
Evaluation: 95 % reference with extras
Entirely
Remarks: We made here one very well for DVD of a Walt Disney of classical author . D IE picture - and clay/tone q ualitaet is accordingly to the age. The extras are absolutely e reference , which n a DVD the one so broad pallet at extras has , this title earned. At D e r DVD J will have ung and alto their F reu de and should it to no collection be missing, if one has interest in such films .
Evaluation: 85 %

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Must have used the Alta Vista translator program or some such thing.

I get the impression the reviewer was very impressed with the extras and thought the transfer was pretty good, particularly the color and sharpness, but that Disney was dealing with damaged source material, so it's not a pristine transfer. It sounded like there was a flickering effect that bothered him. He seemed to think it sounded pretty good, but said you can't expect much with a film this age: not much in the surrounds, and most of the sound seems to be coming from the front speaker. (But I happen to know Sleeping Beauty was recording in true stereo -- at least the music was.)

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it at the El Capitan. It was not a pristine print, with many base scratches on both sides of the frame, indented somewhat (both sides seemed EXACTLY the same distance for their prospective edges of the frame. Its very possible these scratches appeared during this run. I saw a clean print many ears ago of FAME. Three days later it scratches in about the same place in the frame (taking into account that it was OAR 1.85 in 70). The colors and blacks were very rich and deep, however, and many scratches seemed frozen for seconds at a time, so those were probably scratches in the actual background cells used. The frame was also off enough to show negative splices. Reel change cues (although shown off a platter) were very long black angled marks that took up considerable screen space.
I'm also a bit curious about the sound. Almost absent use of directional dialog. Was this a re-mix?

The short was the CinemaScope cartoon, TOOT, WHISTLE, PLUNK & BOOM," shown in optic mono rather than mag stereo. There were 4 screen sizes for the program: the four previews were in standard 1.85, Toot was shown in full width scope, both wider AND shorter than the 1.85 previews. Then the screen both grew VERY tall and masked in for a 1.37 projection of an original teaser preview for Sleeping Beauty, hyping the Technirama 70 process. Then, a video projector suspended from underneath the balcony came on, and a segment from Disney's show was played. Walt himself introduced the process of Technirama 70, carefully mentioning it is IN Technirama 70m, rather than using the word SHOT in while holding up comparison frames of 35 and 70. Then we go into an animated theatre with curatins openeing on the presentation as the theatres masking opens all the way wide (and STAYS tall, taller than their Cinemascope AND 1.85) for Sleeping Beauty.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't know aobut the upcoming DVD, but the LaserDisc versions of this movie are fantastic. Absolutely reference quality picture and very good sound. Highly impressive, I've got the box set but have also had the CLV version. Both the DD and PCM soundtracks are great, and the picture is a pleasure. This DVD will not be on my list.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Were they claiming to show a 35mm or a 70mm print?
Reel change cues (although shown off a platter) were very long black angled marks that took up considerable screen space.
These should have been round if they were showing a 70mm print.

The cartoon short, TOOT..., was obviously in 35mm.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
They were not only claiming too, but WERE showing a 70mm print. These were hand drawn cues, and looked like a black felt tip pen was used. They ran at an angle starting at the far right corner of the image and ran down at an angle to ALMOST the bottom of the frame indented by about a fourth from the edge of the image.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about the printed-on cue marks, which would show up as round projected in 70mm. Too bad somebody had to mark up the print that much!

I wish this would play in the New York area, it sounds like it was a great show...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The print wasn't pristine, but the colors looked great. Nicely saturated. It WAS a great show. They also had an actress there dressed as the title character.

Users who are viewing this thread