What's new

Disney's "Runaway Brain" (1995) in HD? (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I have Disney's "Runaway Brain" Mickey Mouse short on the 2004 DVD, Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2.

Recently I picked up a used copy of "Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection" (2015) in blu-ray + DVD. After buying it I learned that when new it had come with "Runaway Brain" as digital download only (it's not on the discs). But my used copy didn't include the digital download code.

So here's my question: Is the "Runaway Brain" digital download included with "Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection" in HD? Or is it SD, same as on the 2004 DVD?

Also -- though the code wasn't included in my used copy, the box does mention that the code expires August 18, 2020. Does that mean you can't watch it after that date, or only that you can't download it after that date?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best as I can tell this is in HD -- at least in theory. I'm honestly not convinced that it's HD -- if so it's a very old master and it's not that different on digital. I can see it in Movies Anywhere, but not VUDU/itunes.

The digital copy can be redeemed at least through the exp date and anything redeemed prior should be available 'permanently' though in theory Disney could eliminate them anytime they wanted. Honestly I'm not aware that any Disney Code has ever expired and several that have exp date in 2016/2017 are actually still valid.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I haven't seen this short in quite sometime. I found this pretty good picture quality version on Dailymotion.

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
Says this is 480P
Best as I can tell this is in HD -- at least in theory. I'm honestly not convinced that it's HD -- if so it's a very old master and it's not that different on digital.
I believe an HD master of Runaway Brain was created for the Walt Disney Treasures DVD set Mickey Mouse in Living Color: Volume Two (along with Mickey's Christmas Carol and The Prince and the Pauper), but of course, they're all presented in 480p on DVD. The Dailymotion video was obviously taken from the downscaled DVD transfer, but what was the digital download transfer sourced from? This review implies that it's still in SD, but has slightly more picture on all four sides and opens with a Miramax logo instead of the Walt Disney Pictures logo.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I believe an HD master of Runaway Brain was created for the Walt Disney Treasures DVD set Mickey Mouse in Living Color: Volume Two (along with Mickey's Christmas Carol and The Prince and the Pauper), but of course, they're all presented in 480p on DVD. The Dailymotion video was obviously taken from the downscaled DVD transfer, but what was the digital download transfer sourced from? This review implies that it's still in SD, but has slightly more picture on all four sides and opens with a Miramax logo instead of the Walt Disney Pictures logo.

I found that review after I watched the MA version. I can't find a way to get MA to tell me the resolution, but I'd have to agree with that review. If it's HD it;s a pretty mediocre transfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks