What's new

Disney's Learning Adventures: Mickey & The Beanstalk - Anything to do with 1947 film? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I know the film is on the Disney Treasures but what exactly is this new "Reading & Math Fun" for 2-6 year olds and has it got anything to do with the classic short film?

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
From Disney's website:

Basically a way to recycle an existing property with a new twist. I'd have to see the actual product to make any judgements on how well it achieves its objectives, though...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is Mickey & The Beanstalk available
on DVD? Has it been released on any of the
Mickey Treasure Collections?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's on Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Vol. 2. It was originally part of the film Fun & Fancy Free which is also available on dvd.

Dave Nusair

Auditioning
Hello,

I can confirm that the short is included on this DVD in its entirety (it can also be watched as part of the disc's learning exercises).

Dave

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Is Mickey & The Beanstalk available
on DVD? Has it been released on any of the
Mickey Treasure Collections?

"Mickey and the Beanstalk" is the second half of the package feature, Fun and Fancy Free (the first half is Upton Sinclair's Bongo). While the "Mickey" sequence is also included on WDT: Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. II, you lose bits of context (such as what Jiminy Cricket is doing crashing a party with Edgar Bergen and Luanna van Patten). Fun and Fancy Free is not a great animated feature, but it has some charming animation. I imagine you can pick up the Gold Collection DVD of Fun and Fancy Free rather cheap.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
So, does anyone know if the version contained on the Learning Adventures DVD is the self contained version narrated by Sterling Holloway (the voice of Winnie the Pooh), or is it identical to the one on Fun and Fancy Free and Mickey in Living Color Vol. 2?

I've been trying to track down the Holloway version for quite some time and would never have thought to look on this DVD. I grew up with that version recorded off of TV. It was preceded by Lambert the Sheepish Lion and followed by Dumbo. The Dumbo experience is not complete for me without these two elements! Lambert is easy enough to pick up, but the Holloway version of Mickey has eluded me!

Justin

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Where's Lambert?!? I've been waiting for that one...is it on one of the treasures sets I already own?

Do tell!

dave :)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
David Boulet wrote:
Looks like Lambert's picture on one of the "Disney Rarities" DVD's to me.

Paul

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... I've gone this long without ol' Lambert on my shelf, a few more months won't kill me. Look forward to picking it up, though!

I managed to do a little more research on Mickey and the Beanstalk and answered my own question: according to All Movie Guide the version on this DVD is the one hosted by Ludwig von Drake - still not the version I was hoping for. Now of course I don't believe that AMG is necessarily a definitive source for this kind of info, so if anyone has this disc and happens to know (or is willing to check), I'd love to hear from you.

For now I guess I'll have to pass on this DVD and dig up that old VHS.

Justin

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Justin, could you elaborate on the differences? I watched the Lambert cartoon on the Disney channel when I was young and just assumed that the version I saw was the version that existed...what are the various flavors of this toon?

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I was referring to differences in the Mickey and the Beanstalk short. I think there is only one version of Lambert. (I've edited my above comment to clarify that)

To my knowledge, there are three primary versions of Mickey:

The original from Fun and Fancy Free. It was introduced by Edgar Bergen and the short occasionally cut away to live action bits with Edgar and his ventriloquist dummies Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd reading the story to a little girl played by Luann Patton. They also provide a sort of commentary on the whole thing which I think ruins the flow of the whole show.

The 70's updated version with Edgar, Charlie, Mortimer, and Luann replaced by Ludwig von Drake and his sidekick Herman. I've never seen this version, but by some accounts it's not very good. I'm beginning to believe that this is the version on the Math and Reading Fun disc.

The 80's TV version, which I think was created for the ABC Sunday night family movie which ran under the banner "the Wonderful World of Disney." This version contains the short without any cut aways, boiling it down to it's very essence. It is narrated by Sterling Holloway, who is most famous for being the voice of Winnie the Pooh. This is the version I grew up watching and is the version I was hoping would surface on DVD.

Justin

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Hmmm... I've gone this long without ol' Lambert on my shelf, a few more months won't kill me. Look forward to picking it up, though!

I managed to do a little more research on Mickey and the Beanstalk and answered my own question: according to All Movie Guide the version on this DVD is the one hosted by Ludwig von Drake - still not the version I was hoping for. Now of course I don't believe that AMG is necessarily a definitive source for this kind of info, so if anyone has this disc and happens to know (or is willing to check), I'd love to hear from you.

For now I guess I'll have to pass on this DVD and dig up that old VHS.

Justin
I know this is an old post-- but I found my old recording of Mickey and the Beanstalk that was narrated by Sterling Holloway and dubbed it to a new Bluray copy of it. This is the one that was aired in 1985 alongside Lambert The Sheepish Lion and Dumbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks