What's new

Disney's Gargoyles in 2003! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
Believe it or not, Disney is finally going to release a Gargoyles DVD. This news comes Greg Weisman, Director of Series Development and Series Producer, at "The Gathering 2002," which is the Gargoyles yearly convention. There will be just one DVD at first, but if it is successful there will be more.
Greg Weisman said the deal was just finalized to release Gargoyles DVDs in 2003
By the sounds of it, this could be a 'best of' release. Same way Spider-Man: Ultimate Villain Showdown was released. Also, I just remembered that the first five episodes (The Awakening) could be a candidate for this DVD.
http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/comment.php - various posts from people who were at the convention
Enjoy! :)

Chris M

Second Unit
My wife wanted this, and I think I do too. Good thing it's being released... but it better be in season sets, this series needs to be seen chronologically.

Chris.

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
I really doubt that Disney is going to release this in season sets. At least not to begin with. Like I mentioned above, either a best of or hopefully, the first 5 episodes of the series entitled, "The Awakening"

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Weren't these 5 into eps released on VHS? I'm all for DVDs but I get worried when people say:
There will be just one DVD at first, but if it is successful there will be more.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I hope disney wakes up to the goldmine it's currently sitting on. There are tons of animated series Disney could release and make a mint off of. Beyond the collectors market, there are millions of parents out there looking for something they can occupy their kids with which doesn't require the parental guidance of much of today's childrens fare. I'm a big fan of gargoyles and I hope this series makes it out soon, I'd also love to see duck tales, gummi bears, tail spin, chip and dale rescue rangers... The list goes on and on. They'd have garaunteed sales from me on season sets of any of these series.

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very excited about the idea of "Gargoyles" finally coming to DVD, but I'm really concerned about the statement...
There will be just one DVD at first, but if it is successful there will be more.
For those who haven't watched the series, it was extremely well written and developed across distinct story arcs. To fully appreciate the show, the episodes really need to be seen in chronological order.
Unfortunately, I'll make a prediction that we'll never see the complete series make it to DVD. Releasing complete seasons would be the smart way to do it, but I agree that it probably won't happen. There are currently 78 episodes and, making a guess that the 1st DVD will contain "The Gathering" (5 episodes), followed by additional discs with only 4 episodes each, the complete collection would fill 19 DVDs. At $15 each (but probably $20ea), the collection would cost about $300 and I don't think there are enough fans for Disney to justify it. (Heck, they tried this approach with Star Trek TNG and finally realized releasing complete seasons was the only way to go. And there are a lot more Star Trek fans out there.)
We'll probably get "The Gathering" and maybe a few more discs if we're lucky. :frowning: (Not cynicism, just experience.) I'll put my "The Gathering" DVD in the shelf next to my "The Gathering" laserdisc (which was the only disc released on LD). Deja Vu.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, yes: Frakes, Sirtis, Dorn, and Spiner...with Trek film & TNG guest star alumni Paul Winfield and David Warner in there as well. And don't forget that Kate Mulgrew was in there, too.

Perhaps if more word of this got out, Trekkers would line up and demand this series to get released in its entirety!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gargoyles was a cool series. I hope the people at Disney do end up releasing this in a season set instead of just a "best" of and so forth. The problem with a "best of" series is that very rarely are they the "best of" a show instead they are just what the companies that sell them think will get them the most sales.

I know I may be waiting for a long time but I will wait for a season set ala TNG from Paramount before I buy it.

--Parker

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Let's also hope that if they do release the original 5-parter, it's the full version - the one released on VHS was cut fairly severely (for example, any references to the eggs were removed).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks