Disney's Fantasia set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Burkes, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

What do you guys think of it? Is the new Fantasia film as good as the first? Hows the audio? Thanks for your opinions.

Rob

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Video:

Fantasia: 4 out of 5

Fantasia 2000: 5 out of 5 (reference quality!)

Audio:

Fantasia: 4.5 out of 5

Fantasia 2000: 5 out of 5 (reference quality)

Extras:

Fantasia: 1.5 out of 5

Fantasia with box set supplement disc: 4.5 out of 5

Fantasia 2000: 4 out of 5

" " with supplement disc: 5 out of 5

Beware, though, Fantasia has been censored in the Pastoral Symphony segment. I reccomend simply skipping over the entire segment because the zooms WILL leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Disney is supposed to be working on uncut editions, but I guess movies like Atlantis is more important right now.

3. Mitchell Kaufman

The transfer of the original Fantasia is O.K. by normal standards, but it did not receive the kind of extensive restoration as Snow White. (There's plenty of cel dust and other imperfections.) Worth purchasing if you want the film, but not one of the all-time great transfers.

The second film is beautiful, but IMO the transfer is ruined by excessive edge enhancement. For a particularly egregious example, take a look at the Rhapsody in Blue segment, where the ee is blatantly obvious in the line drawings.

BTW, the extras include the magnificent Swan of Tuonela segment, to my mind the most astonishing accomplishment of either film, and maybe the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. It's almost unthinkable that this was not used in the first film. (This is only available in the boxed set.)

MK

4. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I didn't remeber the origianl Fantasia much. I watched it years ago on videotape. After watching the Fantasia Anthology I was very impressed with Fantasia 2000. The audio and video is great.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

As for Fantasia 2000,
    I went to see it theatrically exspecting
    not to like it much. Well, I was pleasantly suprized!
    I figured they'd never top the emotional dramatic
    impact of Night on Bald Mountian/Ave Maria,
    yet they really matched it with The Firebird,
    which is AMAZING!
    As for the DVDs, listen to the others, but for content
    of the film, Fantasia 2000 is wonderful
    match for the original.
    Mark

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I have the Fantasia Box set, for two reasons. One, for the historical significance of it. Two, because Fantasia 2000 is unbelievable. It's great to hear and see this on your own system.

I liked but didn't love the first Fantasia, but it carries a lot of history with it and I'm a big Disney fan, so I went with the box set.

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

9. andrew markworthy

I think which Fantasia you prefer is largely a generational thing. Most folks over fifty prefer the first one, most foliks under about 35 prefer the second (cue a host of 'I'm a foetus but I prefer Fantasia 1' replies).

I greatly prefer the second Fantasia. I find early Disney technically brilliant but irredemably vulgar (I have the same response to Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz, as well - I guess it must be a genre thing).

Regarding the DVDs - the three pack is excellent. Transfer of the original Fantasia is competent, transfer of the second is good, but some player/TV combos produce rather ragged straight vertical lines.

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

11. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

The entire set is absolutely amazing. Why haven't you bought it already?? Don't waste one more minute. Get it now!!
    John
    [​IMG]

12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    The Fantasia Anthology is truly the crown jewel in my dvd collection (215 titles as of today). Both films are magnificent (though I prefer the original), and the overall presentation is spectacular.

Except....

The redubbing of Deems Taylor's narration was rather misguided, and of course there's the oft-lamented censorship in the Pastoral segment, but neither of these flaws is fatal, and neither detracts from my blissful joy every time I delve into the set. This set should be in every collection!

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Gee, since it seems they're trying to release the uncut version of the film do you think there's any chance that they will release a single disc version of "Fantasia" with the uncut Pastoral symphony and the non-roadshow shorter introductions with original audio? That's what I would like to see personally.

14. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

15. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Watching Fantasia 2000, based purely on content, the only time I felt it exceeded the original was the Firebird sequence. Truly a sequence that stood out among the rest as the most artistic interpretation of the music. My only problem with the whale sequence is it looked too much like it was done by a computer.

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

17. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Matthew is correct. The extras on the Fantasia stand-alone are well wroth your time. Two audio commentaries - including one made by Walt himself - and a fantastic documentary that is right up there with the best "making of" docs for a Disney title.

Mitchell K wrote: BTW, the extras include the magnificent Swan of Tuonela segment, to my mind the most astonishing accomplishment of either film, and maybe the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. It's almost unthinkable that this was not used in the first film. (This is only available in the boxed set.)

Mitchell, I think you're referring to "Claire de Lune", a marvelous number -- but "Swan of Tuonela" is not animated, it is re-created on the Anthology disc via storyboards and music. Even in storyboard only form, the "Tuonela" sequence is powerful and remarkable. I can see how one could get confused with the other because of the waterbord imagery, but they aren't the same thing.