Disney's DTV releases for 2003?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James Reader, Jan 5, 2003.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Please no comments on the perceived lack of quality on such releases. We're all adults and we all know the deal with such Direct to Video releases, so should be capable of making our own minds up if any of the titles are worth purchasing or not.
    Looking around the 'Net I have found the following Disney DTV titles listed for 2003.
    Jungle Book II
    No longer DTV - bumped to cinematic release in early 2003. Expect the DVD to be released round about May/June 2003.
    Updated:
    June 10th 2003 Release date
    Atlantis II: Milo's Return
    Not the promised Atlantis II in the booklet in the original Atlantis:The Lost Empire DVD, but like Tarzan and Jane three episodes from the (now abandoned) animated cartoon series with new 'wrap around' animation.
    101 Dalmations II: Patch's London Adventure
    From the little snippets I have seen so far, the animation looks incredibly close to the 1961 original!
    Tarzan II
    Unlike the Tarzan and Jane release, this is the true DTV sequel (or prequel) to the Disney film. Supposed to show Tarzan as either a child or mid-teenager.
    Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Magical World
    Re-release.
    Edited to add:
    Inspector Gadget II
    Live action. French Stewart stars as Gadget. The Mayor unveils G2 -- an all-robot, all-tech, all-girl, next generation of gadget policing while Gadget is suspended from duty.
    Edited to add:
    Stitch: The Movie
    D'oh, how could I forget this? The prequel to the upcoming animated television series where Stitch and his 'family' track down the other 625 experiments which have been unleashed upon Earth.
    Updated:
    August 26th 2003 Release date
    Updated:
    Not scheduled for this year, but there's also a Lilo and Stitch II in production for 2004, set after the TV series. Disney sure are riding the wave on this film's success. Let's hope they don't "wipe out"
    Edited to add:
    George of the Jungle II
    Live action. Chris Showerman (?) stars as George.
    Edited to add:
    George, now a father, heads to Las Vegas, where he must help his brother. Also stars Julie Benz (hubba! hubba!)
    Edited to add:
    Lion King II: Simba's Pride
    Re-release.
    Edited to add:
    Recess: All Grown Up
    This is coming to R2. Not sure if it is a new direct-to-video movie or simply episodes from the TV series. Still, things are getting bad when Disney have to copy ideas from their competitors (Rugrats: All Growed Up)
    Edited to add:
    The Parent Trap II
    Release date unknown, but could be latter 2003/early 2004. A sequel to the 1998 theatrical remake.
    Also, more vague but still knocking around are the following:
    The Lion King 1 1/2 : Hakuna Matata
    Was supposed to be 2003 (and it would make sense to release this with the Lion King[​IMG]E) this is now listed as 2004 on some sites. Supposed to be a midquel (is that a new word?) telling some of the original Lion King story from the point of view of Timon and Pumbaa.
    Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas
    Follow up to Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. No information apart from the title. Could be the Xmas 2003 release.
    Updated to add:
    Apparently, this will consist of 3D CGI versions of Mickey, Donald, Goofy and the gang. [​IMG]
    Mulan II
    Dates on this (and Mulan III which appears to be produced concurrently) are all over the place. However the IMDB lists 2003.
    If anyone has more information on any of these titles, I would be most appreciative.

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I guess this one counts
    Inspector Gadget 2
    Inspector gadget is now played by French Stewert(kid you not), but seriously I think its a better choice than Mattew Broderick

3. James Reader

Thanks John. I wasn't really including live action titles so that's how that slipped by. However I am actually looking forward to watching this.

I think French will be an excellent Gadget!

4. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

I am also looking forward to George of the Jungle 2, where unknown Chris Showerman steps in for the (imo) miscast Brendan Frasier as George, and uber-babe Julie Benz plays his woman.
    Last I read, this was going straight to video, I think.
    I think this is a case where they might actually be able to improve on the original. Same goes for Gadget 2.

5. James Reader

Thanks Larry. Updated the first post with these details.

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I only look forward to more things from Stitch and the gang. I just hope that the same quality has been put into the follow-up as the wonderful first.

7. James Reader

Updated the main post to include The Lion King II - which I have been informed is likely to be re-released a month or two after The Lion King:Special Edition in October.

The same mail also indicated that The Lion King 1 1/2 is possibly to be released Q1/Q2 2004.

(Mirroring Disney's Beauty and the Beast releases last year/this year).

8. James Reader

Updated main post to add 'Recess: All Grown Up' - coming to R2 mid-2003.

9. James Reader

Updated 'Twice Upon A Christmas' listing - think Mickey at the Oscars [​IMG]

10. James Reader

Added release date to Stitch:The Movie

11. James Reader

Added release date for Jungle Book II

12. James Reader

Various updates and added Parent Trap II - a possible 2003 release.

13. Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas Stunt Coordinator

Parent Trap II was actually made for television and was not, in fact, Direct-To-Video.

Aaron Thomas
    Trying to remember any other made-for-TV sequels to Disney theatrical films...