What's new

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8 (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
John_Berger

Why would it be a problem if some shared how to keep your purchases alive? People purchasing the DVDs would have bought them legitamately. Paying $$$ for them. They would not have copied them. It's only Flexplay and Disney that are hoping they disappear. Maybe Disney and Flexplay should have a legal team at every store asking you to sign legal documents promising that you'll throw them in the garbage or be thrown in jail.

I'm not going to throw away my Projector bulb away at 1000 hrs just because NEC rated it at 1000 hours. No lawyer from NEC can sue me because I run the bulb longer... or even if I figure out a way to make it last 2000 hours. That's my business... because it's my property...

This is all with smileys intended... no ill will...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I don't understand the logic of this thing. DVD has proven that given a good product at the right price, people want to OWN it, not rent it. Yes, DVD has finally passed VHS in rentals too, but it's still the sell-through market that has the studios raking in the cash.

This is a product without a market (see: DivX). And they can make all the recyclable claims they want, it would be an ecological disaster if this takes off on any level. Thankfully, it won't.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone notice this from BVHE's site?

An EZ-D™ disc in its original packaging is guaranteed to be good for one year from manufacture.
Do you think that this will lead to problems with the 48 hour window if the disc has been on shelves for a while?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Do you think that this will lead to problems with the 48 hour window if the disc has been on selves for a while?
I'm waiting for stickers on the front that say, "Best viewed by {date}".

"Well, gee, honey! We'd better get it now! The movie gets worse as the year goes on!" :D

Justin_M

Agent
OK, now that everyone is done complaining about this new format, has anyone out there actually tried it yet? With so many members on this forum, it's hard to believe that nobody lives in one of the trial locations.

oxonce

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they were available in my area I'd buy one for my failed format collection- I'd keep it next to my DIVX discs and Cartrivision rental tapes from 1972, which could not be rewound on a consumer machine so you could only watch them one time per rental.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There may still be legal problems.

How can Disney, or the retailer who sold it, ever state for sure that the customer has been able to flawlessly view the disc he/she bought? It could have been "too long on the shelves", or a mis-coated one. Or a misprint that would also show glitches had it been a normal DVD.
Thus people can claim they weren't able to see the movie (even if the pack is opened) and/or that it was seriously flawed.

They (the seller) would need to give them a new one for free, unless they brutally deny the claim.
However, by the time parties are in court no-one can read 'exhibit A' anymore...

Selling something that self-destructs looks like a strange commercial model to me.

Cees

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I think that the disposable DVDs are a monumentally bad thing due to the environmental consequences. However, DVDs aren't innocent either: they should have stuck to the CD jewel case instead of the unnecessarily large keep case.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks