What's new

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8 (1 Viewer)

Eric Brunton

Agent
Has anyone started a campagin against disposable dvds such as creating a website other than this thread? I remember a lot of anti - DIVX websites that came out to inform the public and others why we didn't need DIVX. And yes, disposable DVDs ARE A WASTE OF RESOURCES.

Justin_M

Agent
And yes, disposable DVDs ARE A WASTE OF RESOURCES.
I agree with that, but at least BVHE is giving people the opportunity to do something with the discs besides throwing them in the garbage. How many AOL discs come in the mail every week? I get about 2 or 3. Do they have a recycling center that those discs can be sent to? Even if you write "Return to Sender" on them, where do they go from there?

The only reason BVHE is getting bashed now is because this is a hot topic. How long has AOL been doing this and I didn't see one mention about them? Besides, that is even unwanted mail. There are many things that pollute this Earth. It is just up to the person to make a little effort.

oxonce

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone started a campagin against disposable dvds such as creating a website other than this thread?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
and, like DIVX, I suspect that most (if not all) of the disposable releases will be "fullscreen," as they are appealing to the lowest common denominator. So, no steps forward, two steps back.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Excuse my ignoraance,and I hope this doesn't go against forum rules, but would it be possible to give these disposable discs a clear coat that would prevent the oxidation, thus extending the life of the disc?

D'Oh! I just read Mark's post on the first page. Great minds think alike...

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
First I will agree with everyone here that this format is at best SILLY.

but...

EZ-D is not designed for anyone on this forum. It's public is specific and probably out there waiting. The question is "How big will that public be?".
As long as Disney keeps coming out with quality discs I can purchase (at a decent price) that has a good soundtrack, is anamorphic, and contains interesting extras - I could care less what they do on the side! Pan&Scan - Black and White - Colorized - full of advertising, who cares???

Who might be affected by this format?
Sorry to say our wonderful REVIEWERS may be unhappy to be getting these in the mail one day as short term review discs. Also it is possible that academy screeners may find a home in this format.
But for the rest of us, I do not see a problem in the near future (or even far future). It is just another option.

Another drawback to EZ-D is that they are all DVD5. The studios may be surprised to learn that these are much easier to rip that DVD9. Ooops! :thumbsdown:

Last I will just comment that Disney bashing, which just 2 years ago was almost a contact sport in this forum, has now just become a amateur past-time. Yes, I believe there is a small element of Disney bashing in this thread.

I will conclude by commenting that an article is the LA times several months ago quoted Michael Eisner as being somewhat skeptical of the EZ-D format. As I stated in an earlier thread on this topic, I believe Disney is just doing a favor in providing product for an experimental format.

Thanks for reading.
Rick

Ron Pinsonneault

Auditioning
Everybody,
This sounds like cackling in a henhouse. This format is a moot point.(PERIOD). Let's move on.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's a pirate's dream come true. Don't have a CC for Netflix or other services? Want cheap movies for a short period of time so you can rip them and copy them with your DVD-Burner? BAM! Disney hits you with the solution.

Realistically, that's the only market segment I think there is that looks at this with any eagerness.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I just read your message and the Disney TV logo popped up in the corner of my mind. Wouldn't it be a riot if they were all embedded?

Glenn

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
would it be possible to give these disposable discs a clear coat that would prevent the oxidation, thus extending the life of the disc?
One of the articles quoted above even said that refrigeration slows the process down. This certainly does not bypass the concept, but again it shows that it usually only takes a simple idea to foil (or disrupt) any of these ridiculous, restrictive ideas. Yet, the companies continue to try to pull stunts like this that do nothing but hurt and take advantage of the consumer.

And since the presence of oxygen is the catalyst, does that mean that people in Denver get extended video times over the people of New York? (I'm obviously saying that in jest, but it still is a potenial hit against the process.)

Black permanent marker, anybody? :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
It's a pirate's dream come true.
Possibly, but why would any pirate, particularly one who is going to use DVD-R to duplicate the movie, possibly want to spend ($7 + DVD-R cost) to duplicate an EZ-D when they could get the real thing for rental at Blockbuster for $2.99 and use the free tools to drop EVERYTHING on the disc to a single $1.50 DVD-R? (As was suggested above, it's possible that EZ-Ds are not going to be real DVD + coating.) The whole idea of pirating is (generally) that the pirate is a cheap bastard, so using EZ-D to facilitate this still would not be the most cost-effective solution.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Since it is a chemical reaction, I expect that storing it in the freezer would significantly slow or stop the reaction.

I am also sure that you need a continuing supply of oxygen for the reaction to proceed, therefore, coating the disc should stop the reaction.

Since these actions are not intended to circumvent copy protection, I don't see that it is a violation of the DMCA, and I don't see any reason that it can't be discussed.

I would love to get one of these discs to play with just as an intellectual excercise. I expect that it wouldn't be that difficult to prevent the oxidation.

Lets get one of members to take a crack at it. It would be great entertainment for those of us outside the market areas.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
he only way that this could really be recyclable for most consumers to want to utilize it is if they're type 1 or type 2 plastic
Some company appears to have developed a process that will transform anything carbon-based into crude oil and byproducts (it was featured in Discovery magazine a few months back).

This format will not succeed (too expensive), and I predict that it will fizzle shortly after its introduction.

RD

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Lets get one of members to take a crack at it. It would be great entertainment for those of us outside the market areas.
If anyone does succeed at cracking this chemical puzzle, I'd like to know about it from a scientific standpoint, since I'll never support this abomination; however, whoever does crack it won't be able to tell us details about how with raising the ire of the HTF admins as well as getting the Disney and Flexplay folks on his ass in a New York minute.

It's just a matter of time. Someone will figure it out if just to find out if it can be done.

Justin_M

Agent
Just because AOL CDs contribute to pollution doesn't mean it's okay for Disney to do so.
Correct, but like I said before, at least BVHE has a program set up that will recycle the used product. I have yet to see AOL providing free postage so you can mail those junk discs to a recycling center.

oxonce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks