What's new

Disney's Dinosaur on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
Here's a glowing review for Dinosaur on Blu-ray:
http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2428.shtml

Unfortunately, I think the format war is just beginning now that Disney discs are coming out.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It's as I expected.

Now that non-Sony studios are getting into the game (and leaving MPEG2 behind) we're seeing BD product that is at least as good AS what we see on HD DVD.

I've read at AVS that these Disney BD discs are using AVC which is MPEG4 (like Microsoft's VC1, this is much more efficient than older MPEG2).

In addition to the great picture quality, these two items really are impressive:

I hope that this isn't lost on anyone. Disney is giving us LOSSLESS 24 BIT RESOLUTION audio and bonus material in full 1080p HD.

Think about it...

MarekM

Supporting Actor
well here we are :)

can't wait to check it myself, but when there will be a blu-ray player in Europe hmm

Marek

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... I don't know about the 24 bit audio implied by the review. Does this reviewer know something we don't? Buena Vista's own Blu-Ray site lists the audio specs. at 16 bit/48 kHz uncompressed LPCM. No word of 24 bit lossless (either encoded as DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD). 16 bit audio is not master grade.

I don't get why they would waste space on an uncompressed track when they could considerably bump up the resolution by using one of the lossless codecs.

Dan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So PCM5.1 with Mpeg4 is official? I had been trying to find out the transfer specs. I have this one on pre-order.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Hi def extras? This is amazing. How did they cram everything into a single layer Bluray disc? Maybe the reviewer should review the picture quality of extras as well.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Now that is some nutty combining on the part of Disney! MPEG-2 with 24 bit/48 kHz uncompressed audio (Dinosaur), and lesser 16 bit/48 kHz uncompressed audio combined with MPEG-4 HP on most of their others!

If they had used VC-1 or MPEG-4 HP on all their titles they could have had lossless 24/48 on each and every one!

Fox uses MPEG-2 on their longest film plus a ton of extras on one BD-50, but uses a more efficient codec on their shorter slate of films!

What these studios are smoking is beyond me!

Dan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
24/48 lossless packing would also have taken up less space than the 24/48 LPCM on Dinosaur. Curious. I guess it's the lack of advanced audio decoding that's still keeping these studios from going lossless packed on BD. I wish they would anyway... it will only be a matter of months before full-featured players are for sale (fingers crossed) and the full-bitrate DD or DTS extracted from the signal would be a nice lay-over in the meantime.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yet Fox seems to have no problem adding DTS MA at (reportedly) 24 bit resolution for all their titles.

Dan

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
Impressive HD sound.
Impressive HD video.
Impressive HD special feature.
Does this disc have an "impressive HD" menu?
If so, maybe we have the first "Killer App" in HD.
("KA" doesn't mean best selling, although that's a "KA" as well, I've been looking for great A/V, menu, & SF, for HD discs first "KA")

Congrats to The Mouse!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This is something I hope all studios will begin doing, for both formats. For newer releases, the special features are probably available in HD masters, and if not, should be. For older releases, this could be an issue. There is nothing more aggrevating than to have to adjust the format of your display to view the Special Features.

Thomas Eisenmann

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Holy crap...I'll have to pick up Dinosaur just to see/hear this...

MPEG-2 and 24/48?? That's awesome if it looks great.

The other three titles that have uncompressed 16/48 instead of 24/48 may be because original recording was no better?? possibly maybe....?

Mike

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Darryl, that's what I've heard. So I may wait for another title with uncompressed 24/48 rather than spending $40 on a mediocre film.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks