Disney's complete 2003 catalog release schedule/price reductions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHR, Jan 10, 2003.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find a thread for it. I'm glad to see SHOOT TO KILL is finally coming, but at an SRP of only $9.99, it's sure to be P&S. [​IMG]
    Buena Vista Home Entertainment Movie Showcase 2003 Monthly Release Schedule
    January 14, 2003
    New-To-Disney DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    The Absent-Minded Professor, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Gus, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Moon-Spinners
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    The Journey of the August King, Ethan Frome, The Substance of Fire, Summer Fling
    Lowest Price Ever DVD ($14.99 SRP)
    Air Bud, Air Bud 2-Golden Receiver, Air Bud 3-World Pup, Get Over It, Backstage, St. Ives, Blow Dry, Titanica (IMAX), Emma, Like Water For Chocolate, Tin Men, Three Fugitives, Beloved, What’s Love Got to Do with It
    Lowest Price Ever DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Disney’s Miracle Worker, The Straight Story, The Accidental Spy, The Legend of the Swordsman, The Master, Backflash, 40 Days and 40 Nights, Stolen Summer, The Wrong Guy, Pinero, Shiner, Birthday Girl, Kate and Leopold, Next Stop Wonderland, Amelie, Iris, I Got The Hook Up, Ride, Supercop, The Legend, Fresh, Squeeze, Hav Plenty, Love’s Labour Lost, Happy Texas, That’s The Way I Like It, Detroit 9000, Essex Boys, B. Monkey, Bounce, Down To You, Shakespeare In Love (Coll. Ed.), The Very Thought of You, Mighty Joe Young, 102 Dalmatians (Full Frame), Legend of Drunken Master, Tombstone (Original), Il Postino, The Taste of Others, Wishful Thinking, Sling Blade, Down in The Delta, Rhyme and Reason, Armageddon (original), Double Take, Bridget Jones’ Diary, Pretty Woman (10th Anniv. Ed.), Remember the Titans (Full Frame)
    February 4, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Into The West, The Night and the Moment, Citizen Ruth, Jane Eyre, The Star Maker
    Men of War, Diamonds, Outside Providence, Mrs. Brown, Albino Alligator, Crime Story, Disney’s The Kid, About Adam, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (L/A), Robinson Crusoe, Sister Act, Sister Act 2, The Princess Diaries, Snow Dogs, Max Keeble’s Big Move
    Just Visiting, Les Visiteurs, Things to Do in Denver , The Adventures of Huck Finn, Cinderella (Live Action), Sarafina, Playing By Heart, Holy Man
    March 4, 2003
    The Duke, Blank Check, First Kid, Heavyweights, A Kid in King Arthur’s Court, Man of the House
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Blue, Red, White, Stepfather 2, Blue in the Face, Smoke
    New-To-DVD ($14.99 SRP)
    A Low Down Dirty Shame, One Good Cop, Born Yesterday, The Ref
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    Basil, Boys , Green Card, Gone Fishin’
    Flubber, Beowolf, Bounty Hunters 2-Hardball, Highlander-Final Dimension, Nixon (Sp. Coll. Ed.), Good Will Hunting (MCS), Dead Man (P&Scan), Monument Avenue, The Cider House Rules (Coll. Ed.), Rushmore, Highlander End Game (Ex. Cut), Mighty Aphrodite, Dead Poet’s Society, Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion
    With A Friend Like Harry, Farewell My Concubine, Priest, Human Traffic, East is East, Evita, Color of Night, Tall Guy, A Civil Action
    April 8, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Pastime, Zentropa, Four Days in September, Beyond Silence, Tom & Viv
    New-To-DVD ($14.99 SRP)
    Life with Mikey, New York Stories, Scenes From a Mall, Stella, Two Much
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    My Father the Hero, The Inkwell, An Innocent Man, Last Dance, The Marrying Man
    The Defender, Newsies, Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Fist of Legend Jackie Chan’s Project A, Operation Condor, Supercop 2, Twin Dragons, Twin Warriors, Purple Noon, The Wings of the Dove, Wide Awake, Sweet Revenge, City on Fire, Best of the Best (dbl. Feature), Georgia
    May 6, 2003
    Operation Dumbo Drop, That Darn Cat, Tom and Huck, Toothless, Summer of the Monkeys, Perfect Game
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    God Said Ha!, Hardward, Vibrations, Cosi, Mr. & Mrs. Bridge
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    The Sixth Man, Roomates, Oscar, Straight Talk, A Simple Twist of Fate
    Anne Frank, Jailbreakers, Belle De Jour, Malena, Butterfly, Vatel, No Code of Conduct, The Breakup, Confession of Sorority Girls, The Faculty, Immortality, Snapper, Brassed Off, Smoke Signals, Four Rooms, I love You/Love You Not, Hamlet, Kiss of Fire, Mansfield Park, Price Above Rubies, Restoration, Trainspotting, Velvet Goldmine, Rogue Trader, The Yards, Heaven, Hard Core Logo, In Too Deep, Dragstrip Girl, Reindeer Games (DC), Ready To Wear, Young Girls of Rochefort, Switchblade Sisters, Stiff Upper Lips, The Grandfather
    The Closet, Shake Rattle & Rock, Senseless, Deep Rising, The Country Life Chungking Express, Marvin’s Room, All I Wanna Do, Little Voice, Bullets Over Broadway Playing God, Outrageous Fortune, Bicentennial Man, White Fang 2, Instinct
    Lowest Price Ever DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    The Distinguished Gentleman, Encino Man, Flirting With Disaster, When A Man Loves a Woman, Kundun, Playing Mona Lisa
    June 3, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Cry, The Beloved Country, The Horseman on the Roof, The Truce, A la Mode
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    Super Mario Brothers, 3 Ninjas, A Stranger Among Us, Unstrung Heroes, Where The Heart Is
    Whispers – Elephant Tale, The Proposal, Bravo Two Zero, Artemisia, My Life So Far, Little Buddah, Jerry and Tom, House of Yes, Guinevere, Everest (MCS), Father of the Bride 1, Father of the Bride 2, Journey With Martin Scorsese, I Love Trouble
    My Son the Fanatic, Office Killer, Girls in Prison, Calle 54, Everybody’s Famous!, South Pacific, The Mighty Peking Man
    July 21, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    A Month By The Lake, Lie Down With Dogs, My Left Foot, Queen Margot, The Advocate
    New-To-DVD ($14.99 SRP)
    Don’t Drink the Water, Guilty As Sin, Renaissance Man, The Minion, Tuesdays With Morrie
    August 5, 2003
    Tower of Terror(Prev. Disneyland Excl.)
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Dead Tired, French Twist, Rowing With The Wind, Royal Deceit, The Wedding Gift
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn, Camp Nowhere, Crossing The Bridge, Slam Dunk Ernest, The Cemetery Club
    September 2, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($19.99 SRP)
    Children of the Revolution, Mouth to Mouth, Rage in Harlem, Shades of Fear, The Big One
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    Fatherhood, Feast of July, Funny Bones, It’s Pat: The Movie, The Gun in Betty Lou’s Handbag
    October 14, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($14.99 SRP)
    Bad Company (1995), Jack, D.O.A., The Doctor, Consenting Adults
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    Deceived, Fire Birds, Holy Matrimony, Angie, Before and After
    November 11, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    The Air Up There, Shoot To Kill, Money For Nothing, Shadow Conspiracy, Jefferson in Paris
    December 9, 2003
    New-To-DVD ($9.99 SRP)
    Country, Blame it on the Bellboy, Hello Again, In The Army Now

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

That's probably more properly thought of as Disney's 'we don't give a rat's ass' schedule for the year, with lots of pan & scan and possibly colorizing. Thank God there will also be their quality releases, such as Vault Disney and Disney Treasures and Platinum Series.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

4. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let heavyweights be in widescreen. pleeeeeeeeeease.

5. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

Here's My List:
    Heavyweights
    Blank Check
    Operation Dumbo Drop
    That Darn Cat
    Camp Nowhere
    Slam Dunk Ernest
    GREAT MOVIES!!!
    But where is Ernest Goes to School? Didn't Disney release that before Slam Dunk? WHY? [​IMG]

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    No Golden Girls? [​IMG]

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Too bad 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea isn't being released. I was looking forward to having the "big 3" Jules Verne films (this along with Journey To The Center of the Earth and Around the World in Eighty Days)

I was also wondering if Disney would have The Thief and the Cobbler finished for 2003. Not bad that it's taking more time...but I am concerned about it.

9. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Count me in for SHOOT TO KILL and THE DOCTOR! These titles sound great and the price is right!

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Patrick,

This list seems to be their low-end consumer-oriented one. I would think higher-profile titles like "20,000 Leagues" and others would show up on a different schedule. Note that the The Lion King isn't on the list either. Most everything here is either a Touchstone/Hollywood film or a Miramax title.

I'm happy to see New York Stories and The Ref, but am also crossing my fingers about 20,000 Leagues.

11. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

If Heavyweights, Super Mario Brothers, Camp Nowhere, and the Tone Loc classic Blank Check are in pan and scan... I will be kicking some ass. [​IMG]

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Nice list! I only have one question - what version of That Darn Cat is being released?

Glenn

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

14. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

Where the heck is Rocketman? [​IMG]

15. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I don't think they'll go P&S on Shoot to Kill because it's not a family picture. There might be a different problem though. Shoot to kill is already out in the UK, under the title Deadly Pursuit. It's also released by Buena Vista.

I really hope that due to the different title they'll use a different transfer in the US because the UK disc, while being widescreen, is not OAR. It's 1.78:1 with the mattes opened up (the OAR is 2.35:1 and it was shot in Super 35).

It's not as bad as the TV version I've seen where they took the 2.35:1 image and zoomed it to 1,78:1 which resulted in a lot of half-faces, but it's still not OAR.

Chris

16. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Whoo!
    Gone Fishin’, The Ref, Children of the Revolution, and Super Mario Brothers for me!
    It's about time those came out. Sure, Gone Fishin' and SMB weren't the greatest movies, but they entertained me enough to get them.
    And Children of the Revolution... What a great movie that didn't get the attention it deserved.
    And of course The Ref, enough said about that.
    But... No Rocketman?

17. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

This list seems to confirm my suspicion that Robert Rodriguez's "Roadracers" has been canceled. It was supposed to be released Tuesday but I haven't been able to find any info (such as a confirmation as to whether or not the laserdisc commentary was ported to the DVD) and the one retailer that was offering pre-orders (buy.com) has removed their listing.

18. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

There are a few movies on the list that were Miramax films formerly released by other labels (Shakespeare in Love(Universal), Georgia (Columbia), Bicentennial Man (Columbia), etc).
    Interesting...
    Dead Poet's Society moving to a cheaper price doesn't bode well. There's a Special Edition available in the UK, but a price reduction suggests that the existing version will be simply re-released. Similarly Malena, which is available in a longer version in some territories, with bonus features.
    Oh my, there are some truly dire films on that list!
    I, too, hope that they make a good job of Shoot To Kill (original title: Mountain Men). It has a very impressive audio mix, for an 80s movie.

19. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

20. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

And no Ed Wood on the American 2003 list as well [​IMG]