Disney's Beauty and the Beast - Technical issues (Merged thread)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Oct 11, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Is anyone on this forum experiencing playback problems of this disc on any of their players? I just got a JVC 600 series player and experienced a freezing (for about 5 secs) of the title sequences and during some segments of the film, along with the "angle" icon popping up intermittently. Wondering if it was a bad dics or player?

I'd appreciate if any of you all are having problems with this title and if so what players are experiencing it?

Thanks in advance!

David

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

David,
    The "angle" icon appearing on the screen happens to me with many dics. I also own a JVC player.

I don't yet have Beauty and the Beast, so I don't know if it will happen again, but I suspect so.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Isn't the display of the angle icon a user selectable option? My Pioneer DVL-909 defaulted to abgle display "on", but I was able to turn it off via menus. Hopefully the JVC will let you do this.

Regards,

4. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

I don't want to make is seem like all I do is trash this disc, but my opinion of it gets worse and worse everyday. Aside from the horrid artifacts, when I tried to test the DVD on my PC it would freeze right when Belle is leaving town and heading back home before Gaston confronts her. Every time. Every version. I was so looking forward to this being a great disc like Snow White!

5. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I know the reason for this -- well, not the reason it's freezing, but I know why the Angle icon is an issue.

Contrary to what has been reported, the Work In Progress version of the film appears to be seamless branching. I discovered this when the player showed the WIP when I'd selected the Theatrical Version. I found I'd accidentally pushed Angle 2 before playing the film, and voila! I got the WIP.

You can't change angles while you're watching it, but if you stop the player while playing either the WIP or or the Theatrical Version and simply change angles, you can start play again and it will pick up where you left off with the other version of the film.

The really cool thing is that you can play a "Work In Progess Speical Edition"! That's right -- the WIP edits can be played with the Special Edition of the film... up to a point. For some reason, after the meeting with the guy from the insane asylum, they no longer play. I thought maybe it was justf the material after "Human Again," which would make sense, but no, there's should be more rough pencil animation before that point, where the Beast is watching Belle and the horse from the balcony. Something to do with the layer change maybe?

But it's still cool. All you have to do is select the Speical Edition, then immediately stop the player and select Angle 2, then start it again.

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've got the freezing problem too on my modified JVC 502 - very annoying. I will probably hook up my Sony again just to see how it plays there.

9. Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach Stunt Coordinator

Once again I am having problems with a Platinum Edition release. As with Snow White I am getting words super imposed on the picture. I am playing it using a Sony DVP-S3000 which is one of the most dependable older generation players. I think Disney should proof their product to make sure it is compatible with the equipment that is being used.In my opinion, instead of cramming a bunch of special features on the same disk as the movie,which is what I am buying it for, either put the special features on another disk or cut down on them .Is anyone else having this problem?

Thank you!
    Richard Ringenbach

10. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    No problems on my Panny RV80, I watched the special edition movie last night quite good. I think a 3 disc set would have been a better choice however IMHO.
    Al

11. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Richard,

While I am not having the problem myself on my RP-91, my sister called me earlier today and asked about that exact problem (the green ghosting) on her S3000 that I had gave to her a couple years ago.

I had told her try it on her other player before she took it back, but haven't heard back yet.

Long story short, you aren't the only one

-Chad

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have merged these threads together to deal with the various technical issues regarding this DVD.

13. Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons Stunt Coordinator

I am also experiencing the "green ghosting" on a Sony player, the S7000. It happens 3 times during the special edition version, and lasts about 1/2 a second to 2 seconds each time. I also have a Pioneer Elite DV-05, but I haven't had a chance to try the disc there yet ...

14. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Have watched both the Special Edition and the WIP on my Toshiba SD-1600. No problems at all.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Watching the Theatrical Edition was a nightmare for me yesterday - the first time, it froze up good (had to unplug the player to get it to release the disc); at various other points during the movie, it jumped forward for no apparent reason, paused for a very long time at the layer change, and once even jumped to the WIP version.

::sigh:: I guess it's time for my 5-year-old Toshiba SD-2006 to head to pasture; a lot of discs seem to be giving it trouble lately.

17. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'm on my third copy of this disc now and they all lock up and break into blocks on me in the same exact spots of each disc about a half hour into the theatrical cut (It must really be messing with my Panasonic's laser focusing, because after this damn thing locks up and starts breaking up into blocks, If I put another dvd in my player, I will get the game blockiness for about the first 15-30 seconds). I have been also getting some audio drop-outs that always seem to happen in the same spots
    I am really beginning to wish that Disney had just released this as a bare bones 'Gold Collection' dvd, even if it meant just re-hashing the older LD transfer, Then at least I would be able to watch the damn movie.
    Instead we have low bit rate versions of these 3 films all crammed onto one dvd, with major glitches up the yazoo.
    This was my single most anticipated DVD release of the year and it's going to end up on my worst of the year list because of the mouse's piss poor quality control [​IMG]