What's new

Disneys Atlantis - worth picking up? (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Dave,
You wrote--
I watched my Coll Ed tonight, a really good flick, you could make comparisions to Titan AE,It felt similar ( I Liked Titan AE Too) but it was a bit more fun, with alot of clever dialog.
I think part of the fun in the parts of the movie that worked best was some really good dialog. Did you know much of Vinny's lines were all improvised? I loved his description when he was running low on explosives. :D Interestingly enough, the best lines were mostly Rourke's.
One other thing that really needs to be appreciated about this movie is James Newton Howard's very effective musical score for the movie. I really liked the adventure-style of music travelling to Atlantis and the exotic land-style of music once they get to Atlantis--you feel like watching a newsreel of movies taken at faraway lands during the 1920's and 1930's. I really hope that Howard's score gets nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar. :emoji_thumbsup:
This is really a much-underrated movie. I think years from now people will recognize that it was a pretty good attempt at doing a straight-action animated movie. It'll be very interesting to see what Treasure Planet (another straight-action animated movie that looks really good) is like when that comes out in 2003.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My tiny gripe with the film was that it was trying not to be a typical Disney movie (ie no singing or talking animals), yet they added characters like Mole, the 6 year old (maybe not 6, but she sure looked young) ship's mechanic, Cookie, and the grouchy communications officer (didnt she smoke??) who are very much typical Disney characters.
They discuss on the commentary how they abandoned a rat sidekick for Milo when they realized that they were falling into one of their Disney conventions. Picaresque characters with broad personalities work extremely well in animation, though, which is, after all, based on charicature.

Regards,

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just spent the last couple of hours enjoying disc 2 of Atlantis, CE.

Wow! This is really a great DVD. Talk about a movie that is very under-rated. I purchased this in January, but only now got around to watching the extras. I was only going to watch a little bit, but it has now been 2 hours, and I am still not through all of it. Amazing stuff, and very entertaining. This DVD really is top notch. Congratulations to Disney on this one. It seems they consistently put out great collectors editions, like Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box, Snow White, and Atlantis. If you haven't taken a look at this DVD, do yourself a favour and take a peek.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Did you guys see the same mishmash mess of a movie that I did? I guess not.

Oh, well. If you like it, that's cool. Enjoy!

Jan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There was not one song!
That's one reason already to like it!
I hate those Broadway style songs and singing!
The Leviathan scene is one of my demos now!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks