1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's Atlantis sequel coming to video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose Q, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Didn't even know a straight to video sequel was in the works until I saw a little insert in the Atlantis DVD CE I just received today.

"Return to Atlantis in an all-new adventure. Coming soon to Disney DVD and Video". Not much info is given besides that.

On the flip side of the same insert there is a "Coming Soon" for the Monsters Inc. release so may be we wont have to wait until late this year as previously rumored for that one.

2. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

To see if anyone has any insight to this...

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Doesn't surprise me at all. I can't think of one Disney movie from the last ten years that they haven't at least done a direct to video sequel to or spin it off to a TV series. 'Toy Story 2' was originally planned as direct to video, but after a first screening was upgraded because it was good.

And Disney always advertises their stuff as coming soon, even if it's for a fall title. Monsters is successful enough to follow the 'Toy Story' model of fall release to capitalize on Christmas.

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    If I remember it correctly, Disney was working on an Atlantis animated show, but it got cancelled after the movie didn't do too well. I'm sure this direct-to-video sequel was meant to be an introduction to the television series, just like with Buzz Lightyear.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, it's called Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, and was made about 10 years ago in Japan

DOH! Disney does it again!

(To be fair, they only ripped the character designs and the whole crystal thing off of Nadia, it's not a direct rip like Lion King)