Disney's Answer to Pixar -- CHICKEN LITTLE

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ernest Rister, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

For all of you ready to watch the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, get ready for a new high-dollar balloon entry...Disney's Chicken Little. No, not that original Walt Disney 1940's wartime version that warned against listening to enemy propaganda that tore down your leaders and lowered morale...the new Disney. The new CGI only Disney.

Disney has shelled out big bucks to promote their Chicken Little CGI movie, which is now about a little chicken guy who learns about invaders from outer space. The marketing onslaught effectivley begins tomorrow with their giant balloon float of the titular hero.

Read more about it here.

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Hey! Want a plot synopsis? Me, neither! But here are some excerpts...read the whole thing here!

A Skwigly Exclusive: "Chicken Little" 's story revealed!
    22 November 2004
    by Jim Hill

EXCERPTS

"As 'Chicken Little's' story officially gets underway, it's been a year since the infamous acorn incident. And – though Chicken Little (voiced by Zach Braff of "Scrubs" fame) would dearly love to put that entire embarrassing event behind him – the residents of Oakey Oaks just won't let him.

Yeah, it seems like nearly everyone in this small town uses that "The sky is falling!" line as a way to tease and torment Chicken Little. Which causes the film's title character as well as his Dad – Buck Cluck (Voiced by Garry Marshall, the director of "Pretty Woman" ) – much pain & embarrassment.

Mind you, not everyone in Oakey Oaks dislikes Chicken Little. The diminutive rooster has a few loyal friends. A group of misfits who – just like CL – tend to be made fun of by Oakey Oaks' other residents. They include:

Runt of the Litter – a 500-pound-pig (voiced by Steve Zahn of "American Pie" fame) who is prone to panic attacks and nervous eating disorders.

The Ugly Duckling – with pigtails and a pronounced overbite, this duck (voiced by "Toy Story II"'s Joan Cusask) may not be the prettiest in the pond. But she's a good & loyal friend to CL.

Fish Out of Water – is just what her name implies. She's a fish who – because she always wears a diving helmet full of water – can walk around out on land.

This trio of friends continues to stand by Chicken Little. Even when schoolyard bullies like Foxy Loxy (voiced by "Strangers with Candy" star Amy Sedaris) continue to make poor CL's life a living hell.

With the hope that joining the local baseball team might be enough to repair his tattered reputation, Chicken Little signs up for Little League. And – wonder of wonders – CL actually knocks in the winning run at the big game!

Now – after all those months of being teased – Chicken Little is a hero. The people of Oakey Oaks no longer tease him. They cheer & wave whenever CL walks by.

And as for Chicken Little's father ... Well, given that Buck Cluck was a big athlete back in high school, he's just thrilled that his son has become a star on the baseball diamond. Father and son – after months of emotional awkwardness – finally reconnect.

Yeah, life seems to be going great for Chicken Little. Until that moment when he's alone in his bedroom and something mysterious suddenly appears out of nowhere and clunks him in the head.

No, this hexagonal-object isn't a piece of the sky. But what it actually is a dimensional doorway from which an alien intelligence seems to be using it to enter our world.

And only Chicken Little knows this. Well, Imagine CL's dilemma. If he sounds the alarm, Chicken Little risks becoming a laughingstock again.

Given that he's just gotten his social standing back in Oakey Oaks, CL isn't willing to take that risk. Not yet, anyway. But what he does do is tell his trio of friends. Which is how Chicken Little, Runt of the Litter, the Ugly Duckling and Fish Out of Water wind up being the only creatures that can save the Earth from alien invasion."

END EXCERPT -- go to the link for the full article

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Now watch the damn thing go over $200 million.

4. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

God I hope not...

Last thing Eisner needs on his CGI only crusade is any form of vindication.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I personally think a tidal wave of CGI flops is coming within the next five years. By the end of the decade it will come and it won't be pretty.

The result? No theatrical animation whatsoever for the first time ever.

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

No, it'll be like the .com crash of the late 90s/early 00s. The crap will get shaken out, but the good ones will remain. Pixar, PDI Dreamworks if they keep it up, and I think even Disney will find their way again after Eisner leaves, especially if Roy Disney manages to get the entire board voted out at the next shareholders meeting like he says he wants too. there's gonna be a lot of companies that bust, but there will be a few that still manage quality product that will make it.

7. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Hmmmm. The premise sounded smart and interesting until I heard the alien dimension part. I'll have to see how it turns out.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, I heard that part and thought "Jimmy Neutron: the sequel"

9. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I agree with you that this is coming, but I don't agree on the result being no theatrical animation. As Chris Farmer says, the good ones will be left standing at the end.

But there sure are a lot of CGI projects supposed to come out in 2006...which is why IMO it is smart that Pixar's next feature after Cars is supposed to hit summer 2007.