What's new

Disneylands "A Nightmare Before Xmas" Haunted Mansion Ride (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Saturday I went over to Disneyland to experience the completely revamped Haunted Mansion ride. This great ride has now been transformed into Tim Burtons A Nightmare Before Christmas.
The entire ride has been transformed. From the subtle changes on the exterior to the major changes inside, along with the new sound track from Danny Elfman.
For anyone living locally or coming to visit the area, this is a must, especially if you are a fan of the movie. Disney out-did themselves, truly an awesome experience.
It's like riding the movie.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon
[Edited last by Ron-P on October 15, 2001 at 10:54 AM]

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Ron, sounds great! Thanks for giving all of us an excuse to go back to Disneyland!
Does anyone know if they also did this at Disney World?
Jay Taylor
------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Alex-C

Screenwriter
icon14.gif

Kewl...we're going in december, I cant wait.
So from the press release on the official d-land website it looks like this is just a temporary change and will not be permanent.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Please, please, please tell me they have done this in Orlando. I'll be down there in December.
Update: Looks like that is not the case. Well, perhaps they'll pack it up and send it to Florida next year. Then they'll ebay the stuff off for a mint.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 15, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
There is a rather lengthy write up on this at Aint It Cool, describing the changes, with some pcitures.
Looks like this is only been done at Disneyland, but Tokyo is inquiring about it getting done to their mansion next year. The current transition aparently lasts until January 6th.
The artice also mentions screenings of Nightmare at the El Capitan Theater with sets and an animation panel on the 19th.
But I thought that I'd clue you in to several truly cool things that are going on in Southern California this month. Since you're such a huge fan of Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas," I'm sure that you'll be pleased to hear that the Mouse is bringing this masterful motion picture back to the big screen. Mind you, it's only in one location (Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre) and it's only for a brief 10 day run. But -- if everything that I've been hearing about this special limited engagement (Which Disney is hoping to turn into an annual Halloween event in Tinsel Town, by the way) turns out to be true -- it'll still be well worth it for Jack & Sally fans everywhere to come check it out.
Why for? Well, let's start with the stuff you'll find in the lower lounge area. Here, there'll be a display of the actual sets and props used in the creation of this stop-motion masterpiece. Or how about the stuff that will be accompanying every screening of "Nightmare" : Uncut versions of Tim Burton's acclaimed early shorts, "Vincent" and "Frankenweenie."
Of course, if you opt to attend the film's opening night (Friday, October 19th), you're in for an even bigger treat. Noted animation historian (Not to mention the guy who's behind the acclaimed animation website, cartoonresearch.com) Jerry Beck will be hosting a panel discussion about the making of "Nightmare" prior to the movie's 6:30 p.m. screening. I could tell you the names of all the animators who will be taking part in that night's program, all the guys who'll be spilling their guts about what it was like to work with Burton & Selick on this much beloved film ... But you don't want me to spoil everything now, would you, Harry?
Sounds like fun.
------------------

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
According to Mouseplanet.com the ride doesn't use any of Elfman's music:
(This is from a discussion on why Danny Elfman bowed out of a panel discussion at the Haunted Mansion: )
quote:
Second was actually the most interesting - because Elfman was more than a little confused as to why there was none of his compositions in the ride soundtrack. Yep, even though the live panel show used the movie songs, the actual madeover ride itself doesn't use any of the songs from the film. http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update35.htm
[/quote]
But it's been phenomanally successful so far, and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
[Edited last by Marty Christion on October 16, 2001 at 03:46 PM]

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
From what I heard on the radio, Danny Elfman composed a new soundtrack for the ride. I can say that it is nothing from the movie, but it is vary similar and sounds like it has the Elfman touch. I'd be very surprised if it was not his.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I read that if it was succesful that they would look at doing it every year.
Ron,
Lucky you, I oh so want to ride this ride, but I just can't get the vacation time to fly out to LA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks