Disney WS vs. PS screenshots needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I am writing a new FAQ page on the Disney portion of my web site, and one of the sections concerns the differences between Widescreen and Fullscreen. I'd like to put up some screen comparisons of a Disney movie, since it's a Disney site. I have looked at some of the comparisons posted on sites that I know of, and none of them seem to be Disney films, except for two live action films at John's site, but his site states that the images aren't to be copied.

Anyone have any Disney comparisons, or be willing to make some?

If you would like to read the answers that I have provided to the questions, read the Disney FAQ and let me know if there are any changes or corrections I should make.

The questions concerning DVD/Widescreen are #1 & #2. Feel free to read all of them. #3 & #5 may also be of interest to some forum members.

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Why so many views but no replies to this thread? I take it that no one noticed any errors, or had any suggestions for the FAQ! Please comment, good or bad, so I can improve the site. I want it to be easy to read, as it will be read by general audiences.

3. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

So few Disney DVDs offer both formats, and those that do offer reformatted fullscreen rather than true Pan & Scan/Widescreen. I'd imagine that you'd want actual widescreen vs. P&S screenshots to convince, but the only dual-format Disney DVDs I have are Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life, and those were both formatted for the 1.33:1 ratio by Pixar.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire seems like it'd make for good comparisons, but I have the CE, which only offers widescreen, as opposed to the dual-format standard disc.

5. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Thanks. I have the standard Atlantis disc. I'll try wathing it again, and if I notice any shots that look like they have important parts on the sides, I'll remember them and then make the caps myself.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the e-mail.

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    When Sleeping Beauty comes out, I'll see what I can do. I recently bought a used copy of the Region 2 pan-and-scan version of that title.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I have the VHS tape for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and I'll certainly be getting the DVD... I might be able to do screenshots from the two. (Can't guarantee anything...I thinking of buying PowerDVD 4.0 soon to do this)

I can do Fantasia screenshots based on the stills I've seen of the SuperScope version. That could stress how Academy Ratio films need OAR just as badly.