What's new

Disney - Why no trailers on the same disc as the film? (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Does anyone here have an email address for Disney/Buena Vista/Touchstone etc.? I want them to start putting the trailer on the same disc as the main feature film. Anybody else wanna join my crusade?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm with you 110% on this one.

I almost always watch the trailer before the main feature and find it extremely aggrivating when it is on disc 2 on not included at all.

From other threads, I get the feeling that there is only a few of us around though.

FredK

Second Unit
I mean... why no "Chicago" trailer on the "Chicago" DVD??

Cause it's the 3rd or 4th trailer to auto play before Bringing Down the House. Some people want everything! :wink:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I wrote a message to the studios here a while back. I kind of wanted more people to reply so someone might notice that there are quite a few people on this board that feel the same way. I also wrote an e-mail to Disney a while back, too.

I'm not sure what else to do. I mean it's not a huge deal, but at the same time, it's frustrating to those of us who enjoy watching the trailers. Anyway, it's good to know others feel as I do.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I think it has reached the point where many studios now view trailers on DVDs as purely promotional (just as in theaters) instead of as DVD supplements. I'm also convinced that there must be some kind of reuse fee (or some kind of money involved) when a trailer is used as a supplement on a DVD for the same movie vs. as a promotional tool on a DVD for a different movie. Money always seems to be involved with issues like these, so my assumption seems as good as any other.

Myself, I love trailers because they come in handy when trying to decide on a film for family-movie night. "Let's watch the trailers and then decide!" is a common refrain among my wife and daughters.

This is a good topic for the weekly sidebar to my DVD column once Widescreen 101 has run its course.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
the studios should smarten up and release a DVD of nothing but trailers of films.

I think many of us would purchase it. I know I would! Especially if they did them by year, rather than genre.

Wouldn't it be great to have one DVD with all the trailers for 1986?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wouldn't it be great to have one DVD with all the trailers for 1986?
I'd buy it too.

However, my guess is obtaining the rights/clearances for such a thing (remember, the music in each trailer has to be cleared as well) would be an undertaking of such massive proportions and cost as to render such a product infeasible.

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
I remeber not 2 years ago the many threads complaining about trailers (both forced and jump thru). Maybe this is a case where the studios are confused about how to respond. We complain enough about them forcing their will on our tastes.

Let's get specific and say a MENU item that says - PLAY MOVIE WITH TRAILERS, or PLAY MOVIE ONLY or PLAY TRAILERS ONLY.

:b
Rick

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I'm a trailer freak. I'd buy a DVD of film trailers if it was well done. Some studios make no effort to restore or clean up older trailers. Also, it is true that copyright issues may be a hurdle in getting a DVD like this from being made. I was shocked to discover the "Journey to the Line" score from The Thin Red Line was replaced on the Pearl Harbor teaser (boy, am I glad I still have the original trailer in QT!).

I hate the trailer release pattern of Disney; You get 10-15 trailers, none of them for the film the DVD is printed on! For example, I love Trailer A of Treasure Planet, and I had to view it on the Monsters, Inc. DVD.... :rolleyes

8^B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks